park model air freshner

euphoric1

I purchased a park model trailer at a camping resort at the end of season, and at this time had already been closed up for a little over a year, wondering if anyone had any suggestions for an air freshener to use that actually works while it is closed up, not that it smells but just to get rid of that closed up smell, I tried using air wick auto spray but it left an oily film on the dinner table after a while, I had it up on the refrigerator. It worked but was wondering if someone knew of or used something better?

maddogg

See if you can find/rent one of those ozone machines they use in cars and motel rooms to get the cigarette stank out

geolith

I always put a big tub of DampRid in our pop-up when stored, it definitely helps to keep from smelling musty.

srt20

Go to Menards and check out "Fresh Cab" rodent repellent. See if its a smell you like.

I 4 bags of the stuff in ours before last winter. Had no problems with mice, but the whole trailer smelled like the stuff. Its not offensive at all, but I do get sick of smelling it.

Campers will always have their own smell from the materials they use to build them.

What park are you guys at?

euphoric1

We put damp rid in trailer and I now see they have scented as well, we went up last weekend just to check and there was little or no moisture in them but still changed it anyways, and like I said It doesn't stink it just smells closed up as it was for over a year, I will check out the fresh cab, I think they have it at the napa in town here too, its not cigarette smell just closed camper smell, I will check that stuff out. We are at Plymouth rock camping resort, you?
Go to Menards and check out "Fresh Cab" rodent repellent. See if its a smell you like.

I 4 bags of the stuff in ours before last winter. Had no problems with mice, but the whole trailer smelled like the stuff. Its not offensive at all, but I do get sick of smelling it.

Campers will always have their own smell from the materials they use to build them.

What park are you guys at?

srt20

We put damp rid in trailer and I now see they have scented as well, we went up last weekend just to check and there was little or no moisture in them but still changed it anyways, and like I said It doesn't stink it just smells closed up as it was for over a year, I will check out the fresh cab, I think they have it at the napa in town here too, its not cigarette smell just closed camper smell, I will check that stuff out. We are at Plymouth rock camping resort, you?

We are at Lil Hummers in Langlade county, by Pickerel. Campground with 24 sites on 30 acres, all sites are huge, 1/4 acre or so, pretty much all permanents. Right on ATV/UTV trails in summer, sled trails in winter.

euphoric1

Nice! I think this place has around 600 sites 80 percent or more are permanent, we have 3 heated pools, hot tub, restaurant, store tons of things for kids to do, activities all the time, outdoor theatre, live music on some weekends. No atv trails or anything like that, walking trail down to lake. Our sites are not that big, !/4 acre that's nice...I wish, we are in a wooded area, a lot of the new sites are out in the open. My parents have been there for over 20 years, my sis and brother have sites there as well, we bought in September fell across a deal we just couldn't pass. with the business we will get 2- 3 day weekends a year other wise will go up after shop close on Saturday, not far to drive, close yet far away if you know what I mean. My fiancé and I even went over night during week, a little over an hour drive, some people drive more than that for work each day, so I figure I can do it just to get the f out of dodge start a fire, make an old fashioned or pop a beer and relax. Road America is across the street and may take the mustang up there when they have open track, Its a nice place but a little more crowded than what you have, but for what we paid for it, don't own the bank anything so if I cant get there wont feel bad, just nice to get away even if for the night.
We are at Lil Hummers in Langlade county, by Pickerel. Campground with 24 sites on 30 acres, all sites are huge, 1/4 acre or so, pretty much all permanents. Right on ATV/UTV trails in summer, sled trails in winter.

srt20

Nice! I think this place has around 600 sites 80 percent or more are permanent, we have 3 heated pools, hot tub, restaurant, store tons of things for kids to do, activities all the time, outdoor theatre, live music on some weekends. No atv trails or anything like that, walking trail down to lake. Our sites are not that big, !/4 acre that's nice...I wish, we are in a wooded area, a lot of the new sites are out in the open. My parents have been there for over 20 years, my sis and brother have sites there as well, we bought in September fell across a deal we just couldn't pass. with the business we will get 2- 3 day weekends a year other wise will go up after shop close on Saturday, not far to drive, close yet far away if you know what I mean. My fiancé and I even went over night during week, a little over an hour drive, some people drive more than that for work each day, so I figure I can do it just to get the f out of dodge start a fire, make an old fashioned or pop a beer and relax. Road America is across the street and may take the mustang up there when they have open track, Its a nice place but a little more crowded than what you have, but for what we paid for it, don't own the bank anything so if I cant get there wont feel bad, just nice to get away even if for the night.

Very Nice!

harski

I would try putting out baking soda around the camper to prevent a permanent stink from other products as SRT mentioned could happen. Hopefully it isn't mice that have already penetrated any access points and buried their nuts in the belly pan cuz that'll be a permanent smell you'll never get out!! I've had that happen in an old camper and I'll never forget that smell! If you can, I'd crawl under and seal any point of possible entry and then some. Then, do the same from the inside, check all access points for plumbing, electrical, gas, furnace, under bedroom drawers, cabinets etc and make sure it's sealed! Come fall I usually throw moth balls under the unit, deck and shed to deter the mice. Make sure you have plenty of venting to the unit as the moth ball smell could get in.

Good luck and enjoy your new pastime!

Harski

euphoric1

Harski,I don't think we have mice, hope not anyways, did crawl under trailer last year and has metal floor pan under entire trailer and we did use a combination of dryer sheets and aluminum foil where pipes come through trailer. Havent and didn't see any sign of mouse droppings or anything chewed up so hopefully not. We did use host dry cleaner on the carpets last year and that helped but sure that closed up smell is engrained in furniture as well. We also put a fan central of the trailer on a timer and when the weather was nice would crack windows in front and back of trailer, put fan on timer and for a few hours each day when we weren't there the fan would run pull air through trailer. I believe it was closed up for about a year and a half maybe more, with all the elbow grease it took to clean up the outside both the trailer and lot could have been longer, when all was said and done the neighbors were glad we moved in, getting better with time though, we bought it with only 1 1/2 months left in season and looking very forward to this season to have a place to escape. I really appreciate every ones feed back and will try some of the suggestions! Thank you again!
I would try putting out baking soda around the camper to prevent a permanent stink from other products as SRT mentioned could happen. Hopefully it isn't mice that have already penetrated any access points and buried their nuts in the belly pan cuz that'll be a permanent smell you'll never get out!! I've had that happen in an old camper and I'll never forget that smell! If you can, I'd crawl under and seal any point of possible entry and then some. Then, do the same from the inside, check all access points for plumbing, electrical, gas, furnace, under bedroom drawers, cabinets etc and make sure it's sealed! Come fall I usually throw moth balls under the unit, deck and shed to deter the mice. Make sure you have plenty of venting to the unit as the moth ball smell could get in.

Good luck and enjoy your new pastime!

Harski

700xcsp

Dryer Sheets Work Great.
I put one in every drawer, closet, pantry, one in under the toilet seat, in the couch cushions, on top of the mattress, under the mattress, and lay a few of them out in the open, never had an issue with smell or mice. I normally use a full box of them before I put it away for the winter and it smells nice and fresh in the spring time! Been doing this for about 6 years now and wouldn't change it. I know around 8-9 other people that are now doing this and they love it, they don't get any nasty smell from using Moth Balls or anything else, it smells "Downy Fresh" every time!

euphoric1

We did the same but didn't use that many but put fresh ones out when we were up a couple weeks ago to get a head start on lot cleaning and just check on the trailer
Dryer Sheets Work Great.
I put one in every drawer, closet, pantry, one in under the toilet seat, in the couch cushions, on top of the mattress, under the mattress, and lay a few of them out in the open, never had an issue with smell or mice. I normally use a full box of them before I put it away for the winter and it smells nice and fresh in the spring time! Been doing this for about 6 years now and wouldn't change it. I know around 8-9 other people that are now doing this and they love it, they don't get any nasty smell from using Moth Balls or anything else, it smells "Downy Fresh" every time!