Pattern

farmermark

Hi John,

Seems like we have a pattern lately of big storms firing up in the Eastern Dakotas and Minnesota, then dying out as they move East. A couple days of cooler weather and back to the same heat and storms off to the West. Is this just the luck of the draw or is there a pattern? And if it is what does it take to break it.

My farm is mostly irrigated, but I feel bad for the folks who can't or don't have irrigation. We are DRY

Mark

jd

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I guess it would depend on what you call a "pattern". What you describe (ample rains in the Dakotas and MN) is correct. NW IA and NW WI have been in on them too. There has also been far less than average rains in much of the rest of the Midwest in the last 30-45 days.

To me this is an established pattern. What is causing it and what will make it change are entirely different stories and ones we just do not know enough about the atmosphere to answer. Sometimes the changes are well advertised in the models, but most of the time the changes just sort of sneak in, just like the pattern they are replacing did.

-John

mjkaliszak

Sure is dry here. Should make for sweeter fruit locally this year. The strawberries I had were better than most years.
The blueberries took a frost hit .... I believe.

Oh yes I have a pattern of dragging threads off topic ( =:) )

farmermark

Hi John,

Still seem to be stuck in the same pattern, perhaps a slight Eastward movement as we are getting some rain.

Any thoughts? Hearing lots of comparisons to '88 as far as temps and precip in the corn belt

Mark

jd

Administrator
Staff member
Mark,

I realize your livelihood depends a lot on weather, but please take a look at the rules regarding specific forecasts.

Thanks.

-John

farmermark

John,

Sorry for bending the rules. Was just asking if this year is similiar to '88. I was just getting started farming back then and don't remember alot about it, but all the farm news is comparing.

Mark

jd

Administrator
Staff member
No problem. I know that things in your neck of the woods have been dry and there have been a few rounds of heat, but the upper air pattern across the US this summer is nothing like that of 88. In that summer, severe drought and heat impacted things from the Rockies to the Appalachians. This year the dryness is in the eastern Midwest and lower MS River Valley and there have only been short stints with the heat and not weeks on end like in 88. Folks to the west of you could actually use a break from the rains MN and NW WI have been inundated the past 3-4 weeks.

-John

attack_06

We could be talking a different tune come august if things don't change I remember 88 very well farming back then and it's starting to look that way now down here in the southern half

farmermark

We could be talking a different tune come august if things don't change I remember 88 very well farming back then and it's starting to look that way now down here in the southern half

Getting ugly here also. I'm pumping water 24/7 and keeping up, but dryland crops will be done if it doesn't rain in the next 7-10 days.