Paul Douglas ??

ubee

John, My Canadian brother and myself banter who has the best weatherman/predictions and he uses Paul Douglas! I tell him we have the best,John Dee !!! Have you ever heard of Paul ? or is he giving me a fictious name and peeking at your predictions ? -6 here in BJ, ton of snow and trails closed yesterday !1 Ubee 563228_10151712024192892_1687147231_n.jpg 030.jpg 317901_2691763911494_1821780156_n.jpg

D

Deleted member 10829

I love that first pic! Paul Douglas has been around the Twin Cities market for years. I'm pretty sure he invented some type of radar in the past and that technology was used in the making of some of Jurasic Park's scenes. Was it Doppler? I'm sure John can let us know.

rocky367

Paul Douglas is still around and has created several apps along with a company to compete against the Weather Channel called WeatherNation. In fact one day they were showing webcams of snow and so I let them know of this site and all the webcams and what do you know the next day they were talking about John Dee.

xcr440

Paul was on KARE-11 in the Twin Cities, then went to Chicago for the "better" job, and didn't last long there. He is now back in the Twin Cities on WCCO-4.

jd

Administrator
Staff member
I have heard of Paul Douglass before, but never met him or know much about him.

I all but certain that he did not develop Doppler radar. That was developed by the US military during WW II. He likely developed some kind of unique display like many broadcast meteorologists do, but for the most part, they all use the same signal, just manipulate it to make it look prettier or more exiting.

-John

D

Deleted member 10829

I figured I had that wrong. Here's what Wikipedia says.

In 1989, Douglas founded a software venture called EarthWatch Communications. Hundreds of television stations in the United States and 20 other countries licensed EarthWatch’s three-dimensional weather graphics technology. In addition to applications for television, Steven Spielberg employed the special 3D effects in the movies "Jurassic Park" and "Twister".

Firecatguy

paul is no John....Paul is a big sledder and used to tell people on the news that all the snow was in da up when we did not have snow here..