Pay for groomers?

redfox

Can anyone tell me if the trail groomers are paid for their work?
If not all paid, what percent are paid and what percent are volunteers?
thanx

tomk

it depends on the club that runs the groomers, here in central mn our club pays $10hr. not all clubs are able to do this, the reason we can is because we have a number of pull tab sites

redfox

Thank you for your response. I am mostly intrested in Michigan groomers.
Last weekend one person in our group was absolutely sure that groomers
in Michigan were paid for their time. I suggested they were volunteers.
This person knows everything about everything so I would like
to know if he is right as usual.

Tito

go to biskits closet and ask him. Around here volunteers for trail brushing you will have to give away your first born to get on the groomers for a reason. Maybe some do it for free dont know the % but some are paid out of the grooming fund and groom everyday if conditions are right

jd

Administrator
Staff member
Keweenaw Groomer Operators are paid, but I believe there are some groomer operators in other areas of MI that are not.

-John

loriwlrc

Superior Snowmobile Club

is all volunteer. Please stop in on 2/14/2010 at the groomers garage and meet the operators we are having an open house,we will have food, raffle, and a warm garage to stop in and warm up,hope to see you there!

Dave_B

It's up to the club. Some pay and some don't. Our club started paying $1.00 per mile a few years ago. Some drivers do it for the extra cash and some donate it back to the club.

jimfsr

SW Michigan, all groomer operators are volunteer. Our council West Mich, snowmobile association, put in over 2500 hours of cumulative volunteer work. From signing to brushing, meeting with landowners, securing leases (almost all out trails are on private property) replacing trail signage that gets stolen and broken. People have a facination with stop signs down here, many are stolen, creating a serious safety hazzard. We have had entire sections of trail signs removed because someone didn't think snowmobiles should be allowed to go there. Club charity fundraisers, we teach about 5-7 safety classes each year(150+ kids and adults certified each year), and for all the maint. on our groomers, which was between $20,000 & 30,000 last year. The DNR helps with some of it, but we have to absorb a lot of the costs. I am sure our drivers would love to be paid, but there is no way we could afford it. The volunteer drivers in all the clubs do not recieve near the recognition they deserve, so please, if see them, say thanks, give them a thumbs up, whatever. Just don't complain about the trail condition to them, they do the best they can with what they have to work with, which is usually poor snow and impatient riders who could care less about the next guy, as long as there is snow in the corners for themselves. If the trail is beat, and you think the groomers are not doing their "job", Then you need to get involved and see what it takes to do that "job" that so many are not paid to do.

L

lenny

superior snowmobile club out of Greenland/Twin Lakes is volunteer.

frosty

I make sure every groomer I come across is paid!!! If the groomer stops to let me by, I stop and give each one of them and their passenger at least 5 bucks and tell them coffee is on me today. I don't give at the bars to the groomer fund, I give it to the guys who are out there doing it everyday!!!!

datdude

Maybe this is why some riders act like we are in their way when we are out grooming? Our club (Northern WI) is 100% volunteer and I groom because I like to help the area attract more sledders to help the businesses. I stopped trail riding about 3 years ago, but still enjoy spending 6-7 hours in a Tucker Sno Cat every week. It is really amazing how many sledders do not even acknowledge your presence. Last time I was out I counted 46 sleds and 15 waved or gave a thumbs up. I understand that a groomer is an intimidating piece of equipment to pass, but it really makes the drivers feel good to know that their hard work and time is appreciated.

D

Deleted member 10829

Spooner, WI area

We are all volunteers around here too. I groom because it's fun and I enjoy laying down a smooth white ribbon for everyone to enjoy. I find that almost 100% of the sledders that go by me give me a thumbs up and I appreciate that.

polarfreek

You know someone like this too?