Percent split

saltyg

Hi John

I am not sure if this questions makes sense, but here goes.
Of the snow that falls in the N tier (say the UP, or Northern Lower pen. of Michigan etc) what per cent of the snow is born from LES vs what percent is generated from systems that sweep across the region (say systems that kick off some where else, but move across the UP, etc).
I am just wondering if in a given year that LES is below normal how much snow would still come from other means.

Thanks much

Rick

jd

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Rick

It is only an estimate of how much snow the LES belts of the UP would get if the lake where not there, but my guess would be around 80-90". This is based on the fact that the annual averages for areas of far N. WI and the southern UP outside of the LES belts is around 70-80".

So using those estimates, it then depends on which LES area you are talking about in the UP, would it be be spots in the Keweenaw where average annual snowfall is 240" (Keweenaw) or places like Marquette (city) with an average annual snowfall of 120" or Ironwood at 180" or Newberry at around 113"?

Using those numbers you can come up with your own estimate. You can also follow this link to see more stations.

-John
-John