Photo of the Day

wirev

John, all the photos have a caption but some of them, like today's, can be vague to some of us that aren't familiar with the location. The dredge is on Torch Lake but where is is Torch Lake. There have been a couple of others as well. It would be great to know location to bring it up on Google Earth if possible. Thanks for all you do and love the sight--I usually check in a couple of times a day. We met one year at the Milwaukee Show. Rev

jd

Administrator
Staff member
You're right. I typically just put the caption that is included with the pic, not wanting to editorialize too much. I suppose perhaps I can put some additional info on. That is if I know where it is too!

The dredge in that shot is between Dollar Bay and Hubbell in the Keweenaw.

-John

sweeperguy

Would that dredge have been looking to capture GOLD? Or Copper as the region is known for? Or possibly Iron Ore.

sweeperguy

John, all the photos have a caption but some of them, like today's, can be vague to some of us that aren't familiar with the location. The dredge is on Torch Lake but where is is Torch Lake. There have been a couple of others as well. It would be great to know location to bring it up on Google Earth if possible. Thanks for all you do and love the sight--I usually check in a couple of times a day. We met one year at the Milwaukee Show. Rev

Totally visible on google map satellite view. Also from street view visible from M-26
Dropped Pin
near Osceola Township, MI

https://goo.gl/maps/6B3JXseQKPk

mezz

Thanks! I actually did me a google search after posting found that site. Came back to edit my last post to show that info. Was a good read. Also found info on Wikipedia on it. Dredge #1 is also sunk there in deeper water. Only the roof of cab visible.

Actually, what "was" visible was the bottom left rear corner of the Dredge #1, it stuck out prominently for many years. When she sank she sank front first, over the years, the steel gradually sank further into the murky bottom & eventually folded due to the rust & the weight. 2 of my brothers & myself were running the lake on a T-Cat from Tamarack to Mason one week-end in 2001 as I was pulling 110 and scanning the lake left to right could not find it, I came to a crawl in the area I had known it to be for years & it had all but disappeared, but not entirely below the surface. Spring came, it was just below the surface of the water, discovered that while out on the Jet skis, now it's marked with a buoy by the Coast Guard Auxiliary as it is just deep enough to take out a drive unit on any boat.-Mezz

wirev

Hey, thanks John and all the rest of the replies. I like to Google those spots and see what it is like. Tks again, Rev.

slimcake

I went by one day on the highway and there were a bunch of kids out climbing on the damn thing. I turned around and parked in that lot next to the abandoned building right there and walked over to get a closer look. Yep bunch of hippies climbing on rusty old metal.