Polar Vortex II

Good Day John!

Hopefully this question doesn't fall outside the guidelines....but I think it's OK. MANY different weather sites have been worried about another Polar Vortex dropping temperatures in the Midwest to dangerous levels starting around the 25th of January (give or take). These same sites were pretty accurate with a longer range prediction (about 10 - 14 days out) with the first arctic outbreak. I have noticed that while you indicate that you feel temperatures will run "below average" in your time frame outlooks, you make no mention of a severe cold outbreak. Without naming the site, one forecaster showed a graphic (off of the Canadian model) that potentially had temps in Iowa dropping to -30 to -40 (!!!) around January 25th. Obviously, from 8 or 9 days out, he was quick to point out that this was not a forecast. I'm just wondering if you have any thoughts in regards to PV II? I'm sure there are lots of site visitors that would be curious as well. I know I have a trip planned for that time frame and don't particularly enjoy riding when it's -20 (please hold the wimp commentary :cool:). Side note, I'm sure The Weather Channel will soon have a "name" for the cold invasion. :D

Thank you!

jd

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Steve.

The US and Canadian models are both showing it, but the European not. Plus it is so far out in the forecast, I really did not want to make mention of it.

So the potential is there, but will feel more comfortable about that time frame by early next week.

-John

Hi Steve.

The US and Canadian models are both showing it, but the European not. Plus it is so far out in the forecast, I really did not want to make mention of it.

So the potential is there, but will feel more comfortable about that time frame by early next week.

-John

Thanks for not calling me a wimp John! :) And I understand your wanting to hold off with the "forecast". It sure has been fun talking about a real Winter again! Thanks for your reply.

Steve

jd

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for not calling me a wimp John! :) And I understand your wanting to hold off with the "forecast". It sure has been fun talking about a real Winter again! Thanks for your reply.

Steve

I am right with you on the anti-bitter cold. Nora's brothers are coming up and we are planned to ride Friday and I am praying it is not bitterly cold. Might have to move the gauntlets from the ATV over to the sled!

-John

groomerdriver

I am right with you on the anti-bitter cold. Nora's brothers are coming up and we are planned to ride Friday and I am praying it is not bitterly cold. Might have to move the gauntlets from the ATV over to the sled!

-John

John Dee with gauntlets on his sled? Heck WILL freeze over!! LOL!! <wink>

jmag

i became a fan of gauntlets this winter. the guys without them dont say much with frozen hands either!

i became a fan of gauntlets this winter. the guys without them dont say much with frozen hands either!

I'm thankful that John's comment reminded me that I have a set of gauntlets at the bottom of my gear bag. They are going to be prioritized closer to the top. :eek:

whitedust

-John

X2 also have big ride planned for 24th but no go at -20-30F I have had enough frostbite from last Vortex...that was brutal!! :(