Polaris 120 stopped running, need help

mn_polaris_guy

Good morning, Our 2005 Polaris 120 stopped running yesterday (just in time for the new snow) :p It's been running fine up until yesterday. Here's what happened: Started it up, warmed it up, son took off and it died on him about 50 yards into his first powder ride of the season, I got it started again, it idled fine, but once throttle was applied, it killed. It did this a few times and then I decided to get it back to the garage (was able to feather throttle to WOT). I checked the plug, gas, connections, etc (everything seemed in working order) and it continued to behave the same (idle, but could not take a load). Now, I cannot even get it started (not even by putting a little gas into the cylinder). Spark appears strong, gas is fresh, I'm stumped. I can get it to pop (albeit very weak) when it's choked. Gas line and carb seems fine, I think it's electrical, maybe timing got messed up? I'm confused though because the spark seems strong, so I would think that the coil is fine. Could it be that little regulator/limiter, RPM box? Any ideas?

Thank you

mn_polaris_guy

thanks, I'll try that, but since it wont even fire with gas directly into the plug hole, I'm not sure that is the issue. Any other thoughts from the peanut gallery? :)

snocatmike

Could be in the drive chain it comes loose and gets jammed between the sprocket and the chain guard or in the cluch

mn_polaris_guy

Thanks for the input thus far. Compression is in the 135 range, so I think that is good. Chain looks fine, again it won't even start at this point. I will pick up a new plug, but I'm getting great spark from the current one.. Puzzled..

kraven700

120 headaches

Thanks for the input thus far. Compression is in the 135 range, so I think that is good. Chain looks fine, again it won't even start at this point. I will pick up a new plug, but I'm getting great spark from the current one.. Puzzled..

I've seen this happen one other time and it was over-looked as silly as it may sound.

Do you have the correct spark plug for that engine with the proper heat range? Not just one that fits?

After that, drain ALL the fuel, install fresh 93 octane BP (no ethanol around here)

dew69

Had the same problem on my sons 2002 120. After hours of searching, testing, disconnecting/reconnecting, it turned out to be the coil.

edmarino

To Mn Polaris Guy

I just went thru the exact same thing with my grandson's kitty kat, it turned out to be a dirty carburetor. Took apart and cleaned all the jets etc. in a ultrasonic cleaner with acetone. I tried running Sea Foam and carb. cleaner thru it first but did not work,disassembling and cleaning did the trick, running great now. Go to Babbitt's.com web site look up parts for Polaris snowmobile model 120 and then look at the parts detail for the carburetor item 17 on detail list, main jet, is most likely the problem. At least this is what was dirty on mine. Kitty kat carb slightly different arrangement but same purpose. Machine would idle but die as soon as you gave it throttle. Then I could not get it started at all. Until Carburetor was cleaned.

Last edited:

mn_polaris_guy

Just wanted to follow up with the outcome. It turned out to be the spark plug. Lesson learned: A healthy "white w/hints of blue spark" is not the same as a healthy blue spark. :p

My carb was also sticking again (had it cleaned last year) and my crank was full of gas/oil. So once I replaced the spark plug and cleaned the carb (and drained the crank and put in fresh oil), it's running like a champ and my son was carving through the foot and a half of fresh stuff. :)

Thanks again for all the feedback.

Happy riding