Polaris 800 Liberty engine failures?

old abe

A good friend of mine bought a really nice used 2015 Poo 800 sled. Really straight, clean, no scratches, very well cared for sled. He bought it not knowing of the 800 Liberty engine issues. This as he had not rode much in the past years. The dealer he bought it from is nothing but the best in imo. However they did not make him aware of any such issues. Another friend, who also deals with the same dealer, brought the engine being prone to failure to my attention, and I relayed the info. Only the AXYS 15 my sleds had the "improved" 800HO engines. His is not a AXYS. The sled has 4 to 4.5K miles on it to witch Ive heard is the point where bad things can happen? What can he do to be proactive as to prevent the engine from failing? Any info, suggestions greatly appreciated!

Thanks old abe

srt20

A good friend of mine bought a really nice used 2015 Poo 800 sled. Really straight, clean, no scratches, very well cared for sled. He bought it not knowing of the 800 Liberty engine issues. This as he had not rode much in the past years. The dealer he bought it from is nothing but the best in imo. However they did not make him aware of any such issues. Another friend, who also deals with the same dealer, brought the engine being prone to failure to my attention, and I relayed the info. Only the AXYS 15 my sleds had the "improved" 800HO engines. His is not a AXYS. The sled has 4 to 4.5K miles on it to witch Ive heard is the point where bad things can happen? What can he do to be proactive as to prevent the engine from failing? Any info, suggestions greatly appreciated!

Thanks old abe
This is what I do. Not saying everyone should or shouldn't do it...

I would get the cylinder off. Measure cylinders, measure pistons. Determine the clearance. This is for reference on miles vs clearance only because if I have the cylinders off its getting new pistons anyway. Obviously everything else gets checked at this time as well. Crank runout and bearings.

I do this approx 2000 miles on 2011-2015 mountain sled engines, same maybe a little more on Axys HO engines.
Trail sleds I would probably go more towards 3000. Last 2013 trail sled I did had 2700 and the pistons weren't in danger, but by the end of that season they would have been. So did it before that season.

Im not going to end up in a debate over why these pistons collapse so easily, but the "fix kits" fix nothing. Just get pistons, whatever flavor you want. I prefer forged with tight clearances but you must let them warm up before WOT . Cast work well too.

Now, if I just got the sled today I would do leak down and if its ok, I would finish the year. If its not acceptable I would get pistons in it before riding.