Polaris Switchback Rear Suspension

catlin72

I have a 2008 polaris dragon switchback 700. I extended it to 144" and put an 1.75" Challenger track on it. I really like the sled, but do not like the coupled rear suspension. I do alot of off trail riding and I took it to the mountains last winter and it was not good. I am planning on heading to the mountains again this winter and I would like to keep the sled one more year. Can I get some suggestions on what I can do to get the sled to handle better in powder. What are some options?? RMK suspension?? aftermarket suspension?? Uncouple suspension if possible?? Most cost effective?? Different Sled?? If I would get an aftermarket suspension, would it fit an 1010 polaris RMK?? Any input would be appreciated.

booondocker

Welcome, Jeremy....

I own the uncoupled version, which includes the 144.

I don't know WHY Polaris shortened the track and went to a coupled suspension, when the uncoupled worked so much better in the deeper stuff.

In my opinion, the uncoupled works alot better though all the critics didn't like the fact that it was theoretically an off trail sled first rather than an on trailer machine.

Frankly unless you have to drive like a maniac, as far as I am concerned the uncoupled does just fine on the trails.

To get to your question, I seriously doubt that there is much you can do other than adjust what you have already. Have you loosened the limit straps, or moved the strap mounts and increased the preload on the front shock?

New skids are expensive, and you might be futher ahead to simply sell and buy another sled.

If you were to buy a crashed sled in the I.Q. config, it should work...and perhaps you can salvage some money from the take out...but not much call for them.

That 700 is a nice motor and is well balanced.

I don't think anyone knows yet if the 1010 RMK are same or different. Likely to be some differences but maybe not.

elf

Jeremy,
Good to see you finally posting on here. Where are you planning to go this winter?

You guys going to be up at the cabin anytime soon?

catlin72

Troy,

We are heading up to the cabin the week end of August 14th. I think we are going to give the Bighorns a chance this winter at some point in Feburary.

elf

We plan to be up there this coming weekend. The weekend of the 14th we leave for the UP for a week of camping. Then we'll be back at the cabin for labor day and then for Finland Heritsge days.