Post UP Snowmobile trip 2/20-2/22 2009

srobak

Some of you guys might recall on the old board when I was posting up info and questions regarding bringing some motorcycle friends from Chicago up to my old stomping grounds around KI/Gwinn/Mqt for their first sled trip... here is a post about it I made to our motorcycle forum - so excuse some of the context. :)

Just also want to say thanks to all from here at John Dee's for their help and info... if you remember there was a huge melt-down a week before this trip, and trail conditions were questionable. Thanks to a lot of snowfall and hard work by someone in particular who runs a groomer in the MQT area - it turned out to be nothing short of AWESOME! And I am bringing more new riders up there this winter too, looking to do a repeat performance :D

Thanks again all, and here you go:

-------------------------------------------

Greetings all,

You have all heard me ranting and raving about a newbie snowmobile trip I was leading for some riding pals to northern Michigan (the part above Wisconsin), and that trip was this past weekend. 5 friends joined me, and only one had ever ridden before. Everyone loved it and cannot wait to do it again. We covered about 200 miles in the 24 hours we had the rentals, and everyone wants to make it a 2-day destination ride next time.

At the time we got there, there was about 2.5 to 3 feet of snow on the ground, and it snowed the entire day we did the bulk of our riding, adding another 8 to 12 inches, depending on the location. As it was along the southern shore of Lake Superior - it was all lake effect, and at times was dumping down.

In attendance:

"GSXR Jill" - some of you have seen her with her blue & white GSXR in pix I have posted before
Konrad
Lewnitic & his wife Sarah
Larry
Myself

Location: Marquette & Alger County, Michigan (that's NORTH of Green Bay, yo), including Gwinn, KI Sawyer AFB, Marquette, Negaunee, Sand River, Sands Township, various other locations.

Miles covered: Approximately 200-225 (in 24 hours)

Equipment used: 1x Ski Doo 600 Renegade, 3x Ski Doo 500SS (600cc) MXZ Rev, 2x Ski Doo 550F

End result: Tired, sore, but had an absolute blast!

The Renegade and 500SS's were amazing machines, with beautiful suspension. Not a hitch with any of them.

Here are some photos.....

This is how we do snow in the U.P. (yes, that's a phone booth)

lewie-phone1.jpg

Picking up the sleds from the rental shop:

midway.jpg

On the trails:

konrad.jpg

trail-grp.jpg

Watching the sled-dog races at the UP 200

group-sleddogs.jpg

At my dad's

dads.jpg

Fillin up

fillup.jpg

At the static aircraft display at the now defunct KI Sawyer AFB (you guys have seen summer pix from there in my 4th of July threads)

ki-hill5.jpg

ki-hill4.jpg

ki-jill-ya-taa.jpg

ki-konrad.jpg

ki-shawn-lewie.jpg

ki-group-portrait.jpg

410.jpg

On top of Mount Marquette at the overlook, city of Marquette below and to the left, Lake Superior to the right

konrad-mt-mqt.jpg

Chillin after it was all over, and facing the 6 hour drive home:

group-after.jpg

In short - it was a blast, and if you have not done this yet - you must. I have forgotten how much fun it is, and it is a great segway for riders to maintain their sanity through the winter.

srobak

One of my street bikes is a Kawi - and I find the thick, heavy leather from Joe Rocket to do perfectly for sleddin... just add a sweatshirt :)

Yep - everyone had a blast, and a couple of them are coming on the group ride this coming Feb as well. Look to have a larger group also, which will be very good. Dan told me they got several new sleds this year at Midway - so even better! :)

sl.jpg