Prem Only ignition position on Polaris

mn_polaris_guy

I have a 2003 EDGE X 800 and last year I noticed that when I had my key in the 'Premium Only' position, the indicator light on the dash did not light up and hasn't since. I'm wondering if this could be an ignition switch issue, a light in the dash issue, or something else. It seems like it isn't running great (subtle, could be in my mind), so it makes me think that there is something wrong. Any ideas as to what it could be? I was thinking it's the ignition switch.

Also, what does this key position really do? Does it change the timing based on the octane rating you are running? I've always ran high octane (91+) and had the switch on the premium gas only.

Thanks, I appreciate any feedback!

indy_500

From what i've heard, most people reccomend running premium in it with the regular (not premium) switch on.

jd

Administrator
Staff member
The switch does advance the timing a bit. Not sure what would be causing your issue though. I suppose a knowledgeable mechanic would be able to see if it is at the switch or light or if the whole feature is just not working.

-John

mikedrh

That's a pretty simple system and "usually" very rarely fails. Maybe as simple as a light bulb. A test light or a Fluke meter will tell you if it's just a bulb burned out.

If not you can test the circut back at the ignition with the same tools.

Premium fuel is not always "good" for a engine that was designed to run on 87. Granted it probably won't hurt, but it's not any "better" than 87 when your switch is in the 87 mode.

michaeladams

of topic a little but i have a polaris with that, i always run on reg with preum gas only cause premium by me has no ethanol. any way the manual and a sticker on it says for mountain riding or altitudes above whatever all you do is hold the reverse button down till the reverse light flashes or something like that and it defaults back to normal at the next startup.does anyone know what that is all about? do you still have to rejet? it is carborated not fuel injected and it doesn't say anything about jetting

indy_500

Premium fuel is not always "good" for a engine that was designed to run on 87. Granted it probably won't hurt, but it's not any "better" than 87 when your switch is in the 87 mode.

But 87 back when it was made didn't have as much ethanol in it as it does now.

polarisrider1

I have a 2003 EDGE X 800 and last year I noticed that when I had my key in the 'Premium Only' position, the indicator light on the dash did not light up and hasn't since. I'm wondering if this could be an ignition switch issue, a light in the dash issue, or something else. It seems like it isn't running great (subtle, could be in my mind), so it makes me think that there is something wrong. Any ideas as to what it could be? I was thinking it's the ignition switch.

Also, what does this key position really do? Does it change the timing based on the octane rating you are running? I've always ran high octane (91+) and had the switch on the premium gas only.

Thanks, I appreciate any feedback!

Yah goota wade pretty deep around here to get a straight answer sometimes. Check the bulb. Your sled was meant to run Premium. The switch is to change the timing a bit to "save" your engine if a station only has regular gas. until you can get 91 to 93 octane back in it.

mn_polaris_guy

Thanks for the feedback. I'll check the bulb first and go from there. I'll let you all know what I find out to close this thread out.

Much appreciated!