primary clutch spring rates

blvette

I have a yellow/green in primary right now which is 114-267, I had a orange black magic in there which is 143/290. I am looking for lower engagement than the orange black magic and higher top end. What type of spring should i look for 96zrt 600 black magic pipes, supppose to spin at 9200rpm,

blvette

anybody have any info, the higher the first number does what compared the second number I was thinking about putting a yellow white one, well it have lower engagement and still get me to the 9200 rpm level

mikes99ss

The first number = the lower the number the lower the engagement(lower RPM's). As far as changing peak rpm's, You would have to change some clutch weights around to affect that. More to getting that magic clutching to make pipes working perfectly than you would think

mikes99ss

Making the sled engage faster doesn't mean that you will be going faster. Let s put it this way. If you had a drag racing car and you wanted to go down the 1/4 as fast as you could would you let the clutch out at idle and then hit the gas or would you rev it to 4000 and then dump the clutch. The same goes for your sled. If you want to get out of the hole as fast as possible then raise the engagement rpm and allow the motor to build more power before it lets loose. The only downside is traction. You can only slap it so hard until you break the track loose and then all you are doing is spinning

Tito

That orange spring should work good in there with standard tip weights around 48-48.5 engauge around 5000rpm. You need to rev it up to take off good it has small pistons. It gets its power from revs rather than torque. Its a soft 5000 doesnt hit very hard. If you can live with the Y/G the second number will cut top end rev a bit not much but will cut it some. so you want the second number up near that of the orange. Those are good pipes and can spin them even faster with a hot motor for top end

nrascals

it is hard to tune by type
even hard by phone .
need rpm at take off,
mid excelleration and full throttle

ie you are looking for take off stall 5000rpm

mid fot. excelleration 9200rpm

fot. top end 9200 to 9300 rpm
thick lighter wieghts are best for triples,needed when piped!
less wieght on the tip for top end screeeeem!

blvette

talked to goodwin about it, he is sending a set of new weights and spring for it, he said the black magic ones are notched so is sending a polaris style, I hope he is right he said he had the perfect setup for the black magic pipes we will see, he said the secondary is fine. Oh by the way adjustment holes in secondary which way lower and higher for total rpm