Question on regulators

knewton66

I am hanging a Mr. Heater Big Maxx 45000btu heater in my garage. I am going to use 100lb propane cylinder to fuel it. How do I determin what size of a regulator do I need. Thanks in advance. knewt66

I believe you need 2 regulators. one at the tank ( high pressure) and one before it enters your building.(low pressure). we just hooked up a buddies furnace in his garage and thats what we had to do to get it to work proper. Not sure if they have ratings on them as far as pressure. Need to ask hvac guy.

doomsman

I believe you need 2 regulators. one at the tank ( high pressure) and one before it enters your building.(low pressure). we just hooked up a buddies furnace in his garage and thats what we had to do to get it to work proper. Not sure if they have ratings on them as far as pressure. Need to ask hvac guy.

I was told the high pressure one was to push the volume to the house
in small diameter tube and then the low pressure for appliances??

phazerpilot

you are better off calling gas co. and getting a 125 gal pig tank for fuel.tried using a 100 pounder when i set my garage up but went thru it to fast.cost me an extra 50 bucks to drop tank ,proper regs. and leak test all connections

ubee

you are better off calling gas co. and getting a 125 gal pig tank for fuel.tried using a 100 pounder when i set my garage up but went thru it to fast.cost me an extra 50 bucks to drop tank ,proper regs. and leak test all connections

X2

jomama45

Wrestling the 100#s into a truck to get exchanged get's old quickly, and the 125 gals. are typically the smallest tank that the fuel companies will come out to fill.

Skidooski

I put a tee and valve in my line off the 500gal tank that feeds the house. Buried the line to the back of my garage, put in a low pressure regulator outside, punched a hole in the garage wall, ran the line through, put in another valve and drip leg, hooked up to my 75,000 btu Hot Dawg heater. Did thermostat and electrical with wall switch. Works great. I think I got the regulator from Graingers if I recall. It's been about 9 years. Just need to make sure everything is compatible for LP. Natural gas components and LP components are not interchangeable.

doomsman

Size Gallon Capacity Total BTU Capacity
20#

4.8 441,600
30# 7.1 653,200
40# 9.5 874,000
60# 14.3 1,315,600
100# 23.8 2,189,600
200# 47.2 4,342,400

100 lb tank will run a 65000 btu heater
48 hours

doomsman

is 24x26 insulated wanted to keep it around 50 degrees
You are asking how long it will run and that would require a
heat loss calculation that needs size of windows, doors, thickness of
insulation etc. Now some one with a similar building may jump in with how often their unit runs for how long.

anonomoose

Never seen a woman yet that could carry enough firewood to get a small storage shed warm, let alone a garage.

Shame on you for call'n a lady that sort of name...just cause she is a shade over a hundred pounds. That's no cause for say'n names and such....and you got to remember that to someone she ain't no pig!

Lastly I would try a dat'n service....cause gas companies don't hire many women anymore!

phazerpilot

knewton,i think the way your garage is set up a 100 pounder will last about a week. give it a try in the long run i see a 125 gal (beautiful lady) tank in your future.