Rain in Ont. Canada.

old abe

Well the warm spell is even causing problems in Ont. Canada. Early this AM showing rain as far up as Hearst. Unheard of really!!! They will at least close down the trails so as to not be destroyed. Unreal weather anymore these days.

dfattack

I'm typing this just north of Toronto and the weather is just like Chicago. warm and rainy/foggy. No snow. trail systems in this area are only an hour or so north of here and I hear from the locals exactly what you are saying. Conditions have changed VERY fast...for the worse.

Last week i was at my place in Florence, WI and we had two awesome days riding and so glad we decided to ride when we did. Day one was with Whitedust, Venture North and my son up to L'Anse and day two I rode with my son to Gwinn/Marquette/back home. We really timed it perfect. was planning on riding here (Ontario) but now have to wait.

Last edited:

old abe

I'm typing this just north of Toronto and the weather is just like Chicago. warm and rainy/foggy. No snow. trail systems in this area are only an hour or so north of here and I hear from the locals exactly what you are saying. Conditions have changed VERY fast...for the worse.

Last week i was at my place in Florence, WI and we had two awesome days riding and so glad we decided to ride when we did. Day one was with Whitedust, Venture North and my son up to L'Anse and day two I rode with my son to Gwinn/Marquette/back home. We really timed it perfect. was planning on riding here (Ontario) but now have to wait.

We have a NE Ontario trip in the works for later in Feb. We have season trail passes, so the timing can vary. This weather/snow is really getting to be a PITA!!!! Crazy. We spent the last week in the UP, at least we got that timing right. Had a great trip. Good luck to you, ride when you can, and be safe!!!

Hoosier

We have a NE Ontario trip in the works for later in Feb. We have season trail passes, so the timing can vary. This weather/snow is really getting to be a PITA!!!! Crazy. We spent the last week in the UP, at least we got that timing right. Had a great trip. Good luck to you, ride when you can, and be safe!!!

We rode up there a couple weeks ago, right before the thaw. Had a great time although not everything was groomed. Looking at the maps today, not everything is green but there are a lot of trails open. Where are you riding out of and where are you heading?

old abe

We will start where ever we can. Usually right out of the Soo. Plan on heading East and North, or vise versa. North Bay, the Canyon, Cap., Timmins, Chap., HH(Jeep Lake), and back to the Soo. Wawa is a possibility also. No certain way or in any order. We would like to do the Marathon to Thunder Bay, and North of Superior Loop, but that is no longer do able as trails don't permit. We have full season permits so as very flexible. No certain timing, just what ever works best. Things up there are very different than 10 years ago. As in lodging, fuel, and food. We can travel 225 miles at least on fuel. And that number is some what conservative, but safe.

Hoosier

We will start where ever we can. Usually right out of the Soo. Plan on heading East and North, or vise versa. North Bay, the Canyon, Cap., Timmins, Chap., HH(Jeep Lake), and back to the Soo. Wawa is a possibility also. No certain way or in any order. We would like to do the Marathon to Thunder Bay, and North of Superior Loop, but that is no longer do able as trails don't permit. We have full season permits so as very flexible. No certain timing, just what ever works best. Things up there are very different than 10 years ago. As in lodging, fuel, and food. We can travel 225 miles at least on fuel. And that number is some what conservative, but safe.

I've ridden a decent amount of that over the past few years, but not all of it. If you have questions about what is currently open and not, let me know. Some of what you are talking about isn't open but there are plans to re-open it over the next year or so. I was going to tell you it's hard to get from the Soo to HH on a tank of gas, but if you can go 225 miles, you are more than fine. I love riding up there.

old abe

I hear ya Hoosier. Ya, we're just kind bidding our time here for next few weeks, and let some more trails open up. I really want to do that north of Superior thing, but that's just not to be. Real shame as some of it is really rugged country, but I think it's some of the most beautiful scenery in Ontario anywhere, also Abitibi Canyon. Thanks again, and lets keep in touch. I have not seen any post from Polaris1 rider this year. He usually hangs out in the Wawa area.

Hoosier

I hear ya Hoosier. Ya, we're just kind bidding our time here for next few weeks, and let some more trails open up. I really want to do that north of Superior thing, but that's just not to be. Real shame as some of it is really rugged country, but I think it's some of the most beautiful scenery in Ontario anywhere, also Abitibi Canyon. Thanks again, and lets keep in touch. I have not seen any post from Polaris1 rider this year. He usually hangs out in the Wawa area.

Someone we were talking to up there said they're looking at opening Marathon to Thunder Bay again. Is that the area you are talking about? We haven't ridden up to the Canyon yet either.

Seems like there's a lot of optimism up there about getting more of the trails open again. I hope it continues. I love riding the UP too, but it's just something else to ride the wilderness, never see a RR grade, etc.

old abe

Someone we were talking to up there said they're looking at opening Marathon to Thunder Bay again. Is that the area you are talking about? We haven't ridden up to the Canyon yet either.

Seems like there's a lot of optimism up there about getting more of the trails open again. I hope it continues. I love riding the UP too, but it's just something else to ride the wilderness, never see a RR grade, etc.

Yep. Marathon to Thunder Bay is really rugged country. They have to winch the groomers up many of the grades, but it is the most beautiful country you will see. Wilderness for sure! We have not seen Abitbi yet, but we are going to on this trip. Many good loops/tours in that area. Did you get my PM on that switchback? It's a 2016, never rode, but a 137, new Poo 8oo. Ontario is great riding, and less expensive than Quebec. Perhaps will ride with you up there someday? Keep in touch.

justride

Are there any cabins around Wawa for rent that would accommodate 6 to 7 male adults? I'm trying to talk my group into a trip to this area the week of Easter. Any help would be appreciated.

frnash

Are there any cabins around Wawa for rent that would accommodate 6 to 7 male adults? …
Step one: Fun with computers, check Google Maps for "Accomodations in Wawa, ON" (Not necessarily just cabins).

Results (click each image for larger):

Wawa.JPG
Overview

Wawa-1.jpg
North of Wawa Airport
(Oops, omitted Northern Lights Motel & Chalets which is listed as "seasonal")

Wawa-2.jpg
South of Wawa Airport

Step two: Repeat the above exercise yourself; links to each are provided by Google Maps.

Step three: Is anyone familiar with any of these, or any other alternatives?

vmax1994

Looking for lodging recommendations myself in Wawa. I found them (without frnash's help ;) ) but want to know if there is any other input. Leaning towards Wawa Motor Inn.

justride

Also favoring wawa motor inn but was hoping to find a place large enough to sleep all 7 of us under one roof and a little less rustic.

Hoosier

Also favoring wawa motor inn but was hoping to find a place large enough to sleep all 7 of us under one roof and a little less rustic.

I wouldn't say Wawa Motor Inn is rustic - I haven't stayed there but the restaurant/bar is very nice - spend quite a few evenings there since there's not much else open in town. They don't serve breakfast but there is a restaurant in town that does (and a Tim Hortons). They have rooms and cabins. Magpie Relay is an option in Dubreville. It's been redone recently, but that's a very small town.

We've always stayed at the Bristol in Wawa but that's an older place.

You could all stay at halfway haven, but that's super rustic and pricey depending on how you look at it.

If you check ontarioconditions.com you might be able to find some cabins for rent.

If you haven't been there before, most of northern Ontario is wilderness. The towns are small. Hearst and Timmons might be the exceptions.

This might help depending on where you're looking:

http://www.intrepidsnowmobiler.com/lodgings/ontario-accommodations/

Everyone's bitching about snow on the main board - they have tons of snow right now in Northern Ontario. The mild temps probably help up there....

frnash

… This might help depending on where you're looking:
http://www.intrepidsnowmobiler.com/lodgings/ontario-accommodations/
Was this a hidden gem? Did y'all not notice this at the above link?

Wawa, Algoma Country, OFSC District 13Wawa Motor Inn. Accessed by road from TOP D,
this lodging has both motel units and chalets with sled parking in front. On-site restaurant &
bar plus ample truck parking, with fuel and convenience store across the street. Best staging
hotel for Top Secret Boondocking. [← that last link in particular.]

old abe

We have a Ontario trip coming up, and now another warm up, and rain?????????? This has been a disappointing winter season for sure. Really??? Rain as far north as Hearst, and Kap again. Unreal!!!!!!!

billjd

I said this the end of December and all kinds of people started saying it's not even Christmas. Now I have 3,000 miles on.... but sick of chasing snow and dodging rain. 58 degrees riding yesterday in International Falls MN.....2/17.....now thats funny!

In all fairness where riding 1/1/13...first ones to do the Northern Loop...most of it not open. Rained hard in Hearst . Ended up taking the snow train due to 45 degree weather and pouring rain.

Not sure what to say. Things are changing and hard to deny it.

Guess that's the cross we bare as die hard snowmobilers!

Mother Nature can KMA