rain

crispyknite

Couple weeks ago I was fishing and it started raining, not hard just enough to get wet. so I looked up and seen no dark clouds just open sky with a couple puffy white ones. but a ways away was a semi dark one and I thought there is no way It can come from that cloud. so my Q is how far can rain travel before it hits the ground?
Thanks Tim

jd

Administrator
Staff member
If I understand your question correctly, you are wondering how far rain can travel horizontally while also falling from the cloud to ground. The answer to this will depend on a couple of factors, like how strong the winds are blowing and how far the rain has to fall from the clouds to reach the ground. In most cases it would probably be around a quarter mile or less.

So in your case, it is likely that the rains just fell from cloud cloud that was directly overhead, but did not look very threatening.

-John

crispyknite

This happened in spooner WI and never in my life have seen this before, the sun was shining and very lite white puffy clouds maybe two or three and about 1.5 miles away was a semi small dark cloud. So can rain fall from a small white puffy cloud? It was just werid.

jd

Administrator
Staff member
Without seeing the cloud and conditions for myself, it is almost impossible for me to tell for sure. Rain can fall from some relatively harmless looking clouds though.

-John