rear shock, battery and slides for 06 MXZ 500ss

flyingfinn

wondering if anyone can help answer some of these questions before I bring my 06 MXZ 500ss into the shop so I don't get ripped off and have an understanding of about how much I am going to spend, will also help so I know if I can bring it in now or after the holidays when there might be more funds available.

I have a dead battery, actually two parts here. 1. how much for a new battery?
2. can I get my reverse to work again if I completely take the battery out? Right now with the dead battery hooked up I don't have reverse as the button is the same for both...

Rear shock - Unless I am completely oblivious to everything when it comes to tech talk, it appears as though there is only one shock under the seat, mine seems bad as there is no rebound, or very little rebound when it is bottomed out. How much approx for that?

How much for new slides?

Sorry for the lengthy post, this is the first time I am dealing with all this stuff and as you can tell I am not to tech salvy...

revsikk

06 500ss

try to charge the battery. it may help. a new one is probably $80 or so.
there are two shock in the skid. depending on the model you have, trail or adrenaline, they'll need to be replaced, trail sooner than the adrenaline. get rebuildables, you won't be sorry. slides (hyfax) are $20 bucks or so for two and easy to replace.

snow_monkey

check your rear springs for fatigue. If its sittin low you may be able to adjust your spring tension with an adjustment if your sled has an adjustment nut. Try a discount battery outlet, you will need dimensions cold cranking amps ect. so they can try to match it. Check your owners manual or a repair book will tell you how to set a check rear spring tension. The shock could still be bad but I belive the height has to do with the spring tension.

t660redrocket

Buy the batter at Fleet Farm. $70. Make sure your old one is charged first. Also sometimes the wires come loose from the battery causing it to die and not recharge. You can do this yourself with a crescent wrench and phillips screwdriver.

Slides are $20. Not so easy for a novice to do. Expect $75 installed.

Rebuildable shocks are NOT necesarily better. If you buy rebuildables you are commiting yourself to having them rebuilt every/every other year. I agree w/ monkey that you should check your spring settings before replacing your shocks. Having shocks replaced by a dealer could be $400 or $500.

Good luck.

flyingfinn

You guys are quick and extremely helpful, thanks for the insight on the springs, Those darn shocks sure are expensive...

...any idea if I can get my reverse back from just taking the battery out and using the pull start???

Last edited:

jimfsr

The reverse should work battery or not, once it is running, the starter will not engage when the button is pushed. If the reverse doesn't work, either turn up the idle a little, or it is usually the first sign of a weak engine, Does it shut off when you push it? If it is warmed up, it should slow down to the point of stalling, then start back up in reverse automatically. Push it again for foreward. (If you didn't know, the engine actually runs backwards in reverse)
You said the suspension doesnt re-bound. Do you mean it stays down, or it bounces back up real fast? If it stays down, you need to take it out and figure out what is hanging up, if it bounces back up like a baby buggy, time for new shocks. Put on only OEM ski doo hyfax, they last longer than the aftermarket ones. And, if you plan to keep it for a while, spring for the OEM maint, free battery. The cheap ones can leak acid from the vent tubes if you happen to lay it over, and the Maint. free ones should last a 4-5 years with proper care and storage. The cheap one will live about 2 yrs. maybe 3 if your lucky.

flyingfinn

Thanks Jimsfr-

I was told some years back that the reverse is affected on those Ski-doos if the battery is dead, this happened to me one other time as well and as soon as I got a new battery there were no more troubles with the reverse, I am just wondering if there is no battery at all hooked up if it would be any different.

Thanks for the info on the shock, it is not rebounding, actually it rebounds but very slowly.

t660redrocket

Jimfsr Doo does need a battery to go into reverse and has very little to do with it possibly being a weak engine. A gel filled battery is the way to go on these.

jimfsr

SLow rebound, sound like something is hung up in the suspension. Take it out and see if it moves with the rear shock and springs disconnected. Be careful as the springs will want to pop out of place when you take the shock loose.

T660-Thanks for the info on the RER with a dead battery. Not all Doo's w/ RER even have a battery. I dont know why it would make a difference, but, I suppose it could. My wifes 500ss w/o e-start, the RER works fine. No change when I put on the OEM e-start kit. the sled didnt care if it had a battery or not. I have had some in the shop (non e-start and w/ e-start) that the engine would not re-start in reverse because the comp. was low. Just some ideas of stuff I have seen in the past. Hopefully it is just a weak battery issue.

Last edited: