regulator question

euphoric1

The trailer we purchased has 2 40 lb propane cylinders on it and you have to switch between one tank or the other, we purchased late in year so did not seem to use much gas so not a big deal but we are opening up in another week and will definitely be using heat more I would guess atleast for the month of april and part of may. Do they make a regulator that will attach and draw off of both tanks to eliminate the need to switch from one to the other? I could be wrong but I thought the one on the trailer didn't draw off both at once, am going up this weekend to measure for a piece of furniture so will double check but I thought the system that was on it didn't allow it.

sweeperguy

My Dad's camper had a 2 hose into 1 regulator set up. Not sure if it was store bought or he made it. He was actually a welder on high pressure natural gas main. So he had the knowledge to do it if it wasn't commercially available.

latner

The trailer we purchased has 2 40 lb propane cylinders on it and you have to switch between one tank or the other, we purchased late in year so did not seem to use much gas so not a big deal but we are opening up in another week and will definitely be using heat more I would guess atleast for the month of april and part of may. Do they make a regulator that will attach and draw off of both tanks to eliminate the need to switch from one to the other? I could be wrong but I thought the one on the trailer didn't draw off both at once, am going up this weekend to measure for a piece of furniture so will double check but I thought the system that was on it didn't allow it.

Yes. It's called an auto-changeover regulator. Leave both tanks open, one tank will be the service tank, when that tank goes empty it will automatically draw gas from the reserve tank. There is an indicator that goes from green to red letting you know the service tank is empty.

euphoric1

that sounds like more than what I am looking for, I am pretty sure the one on the trailer wasn't set up that way, last year we only used one tank, was still pretty warm even when we closed up so didn't use heat much and do pretty much all of our cooking outside on an open fire so don't use stove or oven much either, but with spring here and will be a while before weather stabilizes I'm sure will be using more and don't want to have to go out in middle of night to change over. Thank you for the advice I greatly appreciate it.
Yes. It's called an auto-changeover regulator. Leave both tanks open, one tank will be the service tank, when that tank goes empty it will automatically draw gas from the reserve tank. There is an indicator that goes from green to red letting you know the service tank is empty.

fishcrib

Think you need the auto change over as latner suggested.

If you were able to draw from both at the same time you would run out and have no propane. The auto switchover allows you to fill one tank after it is empty.
Just need to check when it switches over.

euphoric1

latner, was up this weekend and the trailer is set up that way as you mentioned changeover regulator, but one question... do I have to bleed air out of reserve tank line so that when it changes over there isn't an interruption in service? as the furnace we have has a pilot light and is not electronic ignition?

latner

latner, was up this weekend and the trailer is set up that way as you mentioned changeover regulator, but one question... do I have to bleed air out of reserve tank line so that when it changes over there isn't an interruption in service? as the furnace we have has a pilot light and is not electronic ignition?

Good question. My appliances are electronic ignition, so a temporary loss of gas wouldn't matter. I would test it. Light the furnace pilot, then shut the service tank valve off. Drink a beer or three, when the indicator is red you'll know it's drawing from the reserve tank. Check the pilot.

euphoric1

Thank you again latner, The trailer is a '87 yellow stone, remodeled in 2011 along with a new rubber roof at the time as well, 2013 an add a room was added has deck and permanent awning, having said that the furnace has a pilot light so I will try that, but once that air is bled through other line I think it would be ok so probably not a bad idea anyways. Older trailer yes, very nice shape, couldn't pass up the price, don't owe the bank and with a business wont have all the freedom to use if we didn't, but the way I see it if I cant get up to use it, there is always next week. And as I posted before its close enough yet far away. Thank you again I really appreciate all your input,
Good question. My appliances are electronic ignition, so a temporary loss of gas wouldn't matter. I would test it. Light the furnace pilot, then shut the service tank valve off. Drink a beer or three, when the indicator is red you'll know it's drawing from the reserve tank. Check the pilot.