Removing stains on Pontoon boat?

Halcohal

Just picked up a used pontoon boat that has black stains on the side of it(not the pontoons but the side walls) from what looks like while the boat was covered, the rain ran off the cover and stained the side of the boat. Any idea how to remove these stains? I have tried the following with very little results.
1. Muriatic acid
2. Zing (Pontoon aluminum cleaner)
3. Various stain removers

Dave_B

I wouldn't use Muratic acid. I used that to clean the actual pontoons but not the sides.

Try using RV Black Streak Remover. It's cheap and easy to use and you can get it Walmart, Meijer or any RV store. If it's just from water runoff, that should do the trick without damaging the finish or paint.

Dave

tyeeman

What Dave B said, , I use that on my travel trailer and it works pretty well. Acutally so does Mequires Gold Class Car Wash detergent. Don't be afraid to get after it with a power sprayer first to get the heavy stuff off. Saves on the arms.....

I use starbrite black streak remover. Spray it on, wait of few seconds and wipe it off. The black streaks tend to come from the cover or snaps and they don't clean off with regular soap. I wipe mine down with the starbrite 2 or 3 times over the course of the summer to keep it looking good.

Firecatguy

what do you guys do with the pontoons? we keep boat on a lift but they have stained would like to clean them before we put it in this year.....

Our pontoon is going on its 9th summer and I have never cleaned the toons. We don't have it on a lift so they tend to get a little brownish/green over time but I don't let it bother me. Hard enough to keep the inside clean with the kids, dogs, snacks...I think Overtons has some stuff to clean the toons or maybe a scrub brush.

bearrassler

There are some good products around to clean the tubes. AlumaBrite, JJV's Best aluminum pontoon cleaner, Zing for bare aluminum. They all work without a lot of scrubbing. If you have some extra time after they are cleaned you can use some metal polish and a buffer and make them look like chrome. It is a lot of work though.

fusionfool

Just picked up a used pontoon boat that has black stains on the side of it(not the pontoons but the side walls) from what looks like while the boat was covered, the rain ran off the cover and stained the side of the boat. Any idea how to remove these stains? I have tried the following with very little results.
1. Muriatic acid
2. Zing (Pontoon aluminum cleaner)
3. Various stain removers

Last year we cleaned up our deck boat. Same black streaks you are talking about. We tried black streak remover with no luck. I had some old rubber roof cleaner from when we had our camper. It cleaned the black streaks better than the black streak remover.

woodi

bearrassler I agree with the Zing just make sure u us rubber gloves when applying I though I was a tough guy & didn't need gloves big mistake made my hands look like hamburger.