Replaced fuel pump, now won't idle

tschlicht

I have an 1980 Arctic Cat Jag. It would run and idle fine except for after it ran for a while (10-15 minutes) It would just stall out. Wait 5 minutes and it would be ready to go again. So I replace the fuel pump to fix this. Now with the new pump I can't get this thing to idle, it will run at high RPM. Or if I try to let it idle just before it dies I can choke it and it peps right back up.

Carb issue?? I tried messing with the air mix screw but don't really know what I'm doing, I set it to factory specs.

Thanks!

tschlicht

If by pulse line you mean the line on the top of the fuel pump, then yes I did.
Lean means too much air and too little fuel right? To make that adjustment on the carb do I turn the screw in or out?

Tito

You have to dig into your carb a bit. Mixture screw will adjust it some but will always be around the factory setting. If everything is good(which it isnt now) once warmed up you can turn that screw very little at a time and hear and feel the motor smooth out or get rough. You put it in the middle of that. You have 2 systoms running out of gas. Needle and seat dirty or stuck or stuck float. The idle part is connected to the mixture screw which goes on to the pilot jet. Good chance it plugged some. Bottom line you need a carb clean.