Republic

Has anyone recently rode trail 82 from Ishpeming to trail 5 to Republic, towards Watersmeet? We are in Marquette and need to ride to Watersmeet and trail 8 is very rocky for 10 miles we would like to bypass. Any info would be great.

snobuilder

Ishpeming to Rebublic is either west on 8 to 5 or east on 8 to Gwinn then 33 to 32 and back west to Republic.
The trail from republic towards Watersmeet is 18 . It goes from Republic to Amasa. I think Moose Country club takes care of 32, 33, and 18 and they have not posted any grooming reports yet.
The Iron Range club just started grooming this week,...REPORT>http://www.msasnow.org/trail-reports/iron-range-trail-club/
and Chippewa Snokats say they need snow too.
You might be better off toughing it out on trail 8 to Sidnaw where it sounds like things get better.

Good luck.

Last edited:

whitedust

Everything we heard about Republic & south was not good need snow. Everyone was riding towards the Kee & Greenland/MassCity where the word is on the trail best of best. Prolly be crowded but what the heck they have snow.

snobuilder

Everything we heard about Republic & south was not good need snow. Everyone was riding towards the Kee & Greenland/MassCity where the word is on the trail best of best. Prolly be crowded but what the heck they have snow.

Hey WD....Can you ride from your door yet? ....if so have you ventured into the top end of Forest Co at all?

whitedust

Hey WD....Can you ride from your door yet? ....if so have you ventured into the top end of Forest Co at all?

Oh yes been riding north for 2 weeks now mostly FRS. I would not ride south to Forest nothing good that way just not enough snow...rideable but rideable not for me.

snobuilder

Yea, i figured that was the case but the snow can get spotty and dump more in some areas at times....Hope it gets better by 30-31st.

whitedust

Trails are a compromise in Vilas & Forest...lakes not marked & reroutes due to water. I'm riding lakes now but know them well & clubs not marking...may not... no idea what clubs are doing? You get on trails and find blocked areas sometimes can get around sometimes can not. Have to just ride and enjoy forget about getting for point a to point b...may not be able to do it.