Retirement Scenario

skiroule

Many excellent points being made by all who are experienced in making the move happen. One thing I haven’t heard mentioned but is extremely important in my opinion, is the availability of good health care “near by”. I am spoiled having excellent health care close to my home.
The other concern for retired and aging people… what happens if, and or when, a person can no longer drive. These two issues have prevented me from escaping to the great north……
I’m also glad you brought this up because I was thinking about this when I mentioned missing some things about living in a bigger metro area. From what some have said, it sounds like your choice of cabin locations may have reasonably decent access to medical care but this may not always be the case so it is something to think about.

While we have a small local hospital and clinic with some local medical staff, anything that resembles specialized care must be farmed out to other medical facilities in larger cities. I recently underwent the Watchman procedure for my heart and between getting the referral, consultation with the surgeon, the procedure itself, and the upcoming evaluation of the results, I will have logged over 1200 miles when all is said and done.

On the flip side, I figure if I make it to my (more) golden years, my personal impression is that the local senior care centers are far superior to anything I’ve seen in the Cities. The care is better and the food is way better. Heck, in the neighboring town care center, they even have happy hour. Sign me up.

dfattack

While I’m not close to retirement age yet I do know a good part of my time will be spent up at my place during the summer and occasional visits in the winter to ride. I do feel confident in the healthcare close to me in iron mountain, especially since I know some of the doctors personally and the local surgeon is my neighbor. He has deep roots in the town too so don’t think he’s going anywhere. Medical consideration is huge and honestly that is part of the reason why I decided to continue the family tradition up on our chain of lakes. I am the 4th generation who has a place on the chain and am so thankful for my great grandparents for finding the place back in the 1920’s

old abe

While I’m not close to retirement age yet I do know a good part of my time will be spent up at my place during the summer and occasional visits in the winter to ride. I do feel confident in the healthcare close to me in iron mountain, especially since I know some of the doctors personally and the local surgeon is my neighbor. He has deep roots in the town too so don’t think he’s going anywhere. Medical consideration is huge and honestly that is part of the reason why I decided to continue the family tradition up on our chain of lakes. I am the 4th generation who has a place on the chain and am so thankful for my great grandparents for finding the place back in the 1920’s
dfattack you are spot on with your Generational Heritage in my book! My grandfather taught me that it really means something! Kathe and I own our family Homestead farm from the early 1800"s. Never none family owned 200 years.