Retro-Grade of Storm - How Often / Impact

kevinj

John,

I know this is a long way out, but seeing it was kind of interesting (at least to me - Had I not gone on to be a ME, I was going to Purdue for Meteorology)...On the 12 UTC GFS Run (gfs namer, 20130218 12 UTC, 850_temp_mslp_precip), starting at about the 216hr mark, there is a Low Pressure over the area just south of Kansas City. The center moves from there to St. L, Indy, and Detroit through the 240hr mark. This is where it really caught my attention. It moves noth along the east side of Lake Huron, then starts to back northwest (note the following marks - 252hr / 264hr / 276hr). At 288hr it looks to be centered over Sault Ste. Marie and over about Washington Island at the 300hr mark. So it kind of does a loop-da-loop around Lower MI. At that point it looks like it falls apart.

Does this kind of thing happen often? I know there have been big snows in Milwaukee with storms that move due north then make a little loop west, southeast, then east and you kind of get a longer period of snow.

What we need is a bloack-buster to park itself and snow heavily for about a week!!!

Thanks for the insight in advance on this feature. Hopefully you see this post in time to take a look at this particular run or have means to see previous runs.

Kevin