Ride buddies

tnlwelding

I'm self employed and live in central Ohio.
My schedule is flexible somewhat. I can't take off all winter tho.
I have my own sleds and transportation .
I'm looking for people to ride with 2020.
Message me please.
Todd

joe2173

Hello,

Name is Joe, I am considering a Canadian 5-7 day trip in late January or early February. My neighbor may be interested. We both would come from Wisconsin and are looking at taking the tour:

Start out out Sault Ste. Marie to Wawa, White River, Homepayne, Hearst, Smooth Rock Falls, Timmins, Foleyet, Chapleeau and back to Sault Ste Marie.

Nothing specific yet but looking at that loop.

sweeperguy

Hey Joe;
I'd be highly interested in going on a loop like that with you.
I have winters off, so be ready to go on any dates.
Keep me in the loop.

raco_guy

Hi guys! I'm no longer a trail rider but have taken that loop many times and I would strongly recommend it. There are a few things to be aware of. Northern Canada is REMOTE and cell phones do not work in many locations. Make sure you are prepared to be able to make shelter, fire, etc. and emergency rations in case the unthinkable happens. Some stretches between "towns" are 100 miles so it's not like your going to go walking out of the woods. In addition, traffic can be very light to non-existent, so getting help from others should not be relied upon. However, the scenery, trail conditions and people are very inviting. Chapleau and Cochrane was pretty "French". Only thing we usually start out in Wawa and complete the loop back to Wawa. Back in the day you could take that snow train, that was fun! Hit me up if you want any assistance with your planning. I would recommend keeping an eye on the interactive trail map they use for that loop. We once got "stuck" in Hearst after a big snowfall (over the hood deep) and tried to hit the trails before the groomer got the trails panned back out. We quickly realized we were going to burn to much gas breaking trail to get to the next destination, so we had to hold up at the local bar for a day-just extended the trip an extra day ;)

There are sections that the riding is very technical, other areas are wide open where if you had cruise you could literally set it at 60mph and ride for over an hour (trail was table top and 6 sleds wide with no traffic). It's definately worth the drive for the experience. Watch out for moose both on the road up and on the trail near Hearst....you will see lots of tracks on the trail because they use the trails for easier walking. Especially at night, but I would not plan on doing more night riding than absolutely necessary, too dangerous and too cold! Good luck guys!

old abe

Hi guys! I'm no longer a trail rider but have taken that loop many times and I would strongly recommend it. There are a few things to be aware of. Northern Canada is REMOTE and cell phones do not work in many locations. Make sure you are prepared to be able to make shelter, fire, etc. and emergency rations in case the unthinkable happens. Some stretches between "towns" are 100 miles so it's not like your going to go walking out of the woods. In addition, traffic can be very light to non-existent, so getting help from others should not be relied upon. However, the scenery, trail conditions and people are very inviting. Chapleau and Cochrane was pretty "French". Only thing we usually start out in Wawa and complete the loop back to Wawa. Back in the day you could take that snow train, that was fun! Hit me up if you want any assistance with your planning. I would recommend keeping an eye on the interactive trail map they use for that loop. We once got "stuck" in Hearst after a big snowfall (over the hood deep) and tried to hit the trails before the groomer got the trails panned back out. We quickly realized we were going to burn to much gas breaking trail to get to the next destination, so we had to hold up at the local bar for a day-just extended the trip an extra day ;)

There are sections that the riding is very technical, other areas are wide open where if you had cruise you could literally set it at 60mph and ride for over an hour (trail was table top and 6 sleds wide with no traffic). It's definately worth the drive for the experience. Watch out for moose both on the road up and on the trail near Hearst....you will see lots of tracks on the trail because they use the trails for easier walking. Especially at night, but I would not plan on doing more night riding than absolutely necessary, too dangerous and too cold! Good luck guys!

Very good advice! X2

longtrack

I would go in early March. I was up in Chapleau last February and it was -56 the week before I was there. I used to Bush ride up in Longlac years ago and experienced -40 in march.

It is one of my favorite places to ride. Did Searchmont to Chapleau and back last year and only met 2 Sleds in 300 miles.

We have 900 Skidoo's now and we still carry extra Link Gas Tanks up there.

old abe

I would go in early March. I was up in Chapleau last February and it was -56 the week before I was there. I used to Bush ride up in Longlac years ago and experienced -40 in march.

It is one of my favorite places to ride. Did Searchmont to Chapleau and back last year and only met 2 Sleds in 300 miles.

We have 900 Skidoo's now and we still carry extra Link Gas Tanks up there.

With "tech" clothing we have today, it's a walk in the park compared to years back! We also ride 900 Doo's. The perfect high mile Canadian trip sled! We also carry Doo jerry gas containers just to be protected from unplanned issues. Better safe, than sorry in the boonies.

justride

anyone know why there is a small part of the D trail to White River from Wawa red and is it passable or is it a no since there is red. The same with going into Missanabie, thanks for any info, heading up to Wawa March 9th

old abe

anyone know why there is a small part of the D trail to White River from Wawa red and is it passable or is it a no since there is red. The same with going into Missanabie, thanks for any info, heading up to Wawa March 9th

Pay attention to the OFSC interactive maps, contact area clubs, and OFSC for real trail info. Ontario was burdened with early heavy snow before many places froze up good. Just the same as Northern Wis., and the UP! Don't get caught running a closed/restricted trail in Ontario, or anywhere else in Canada for that matter.