Riding after hip replacement

zl800

I had my left hip replaced in Sept. 2013 my doctor told me to wait at least 1 year before riding. Then he said you mite consider not riding anymore.
Has anyone had a hip replacement and still rides. Please let me know?
Both me and my wife miss it, we been riding in the U.P. for 20 years.
Just not sure if we should get out of the sport, or want until next year. I also had to get a new job I start next week. After I went back to work after my hip surgery they let me go after 3 days, said they are going in a different direction. So now I will only have 1 week of vacation next year.

snocrazy

Stay in it! Just go slower and get sled with best suspension you can find.

Such bs getting let go after some thing like that.

You can negotiate vacation days just like salary. A lot of times they will not budge on salary but vacation days seems to be on the table.
I don't know how any one can survive with 2 weeks a vacation a year. Talk about being a prisoner......

blkhwkbob

I am 50 and have had two hip replacements. Technically, hip resurfacing, but not that much difference. I'd say if you just had it in September, I'd be a little careful...maybe no riding this year, but there's no reason at all you can't ride next year. You are supposed to avoid repeated up and down pounding, like jogging and running. Unless you ride standing the entire time, it doesn't compare. I'm a non-aggressive trail rider, and my hip is the furthest thing from my mind when I'm riding. Just be careful doing things like lifting the sled to turn it around, or walking on tilt trailers, loading the sleds, that kid of thing. My doctor is so confident in the procedures that he once told me that my hips are better than new.

bubbalaris

I had total hip replaced Oct.27, 1999 at the age of 50. Was riding by New Years day. (two months) Still riding, same hip, no problems, and still riding.

booondocker

I think the key here is that you have one opinion based upon YOUR body and YOUR physical condition and this is what the doctor has based HIS opinion on.

Seems to me having to redo the operation is enough to stay away from sledding for this season but I would get a second opinion from another doctor before giving it all up entirely. Life is short enough without giving up all the things you really enjoy but there is risks in anything...and had I listened to my mother, I would be an expert at knitting....of course I listened to my Dad more and have throw caution to the winds and lived on the edge plenty. On balance...I prefer the later of the two....just not quite so much now that I have wisdom....:cool:!!!

fredster

Not sure what kind of sleds you have but maybe the rider-forward position would be better for you, or perhaps worse? You'd be sitting more upright and your hips would not be in as bent of a position. Just thinking that maybe finding a sled the works best with your new body parts might help make it work for you.

I would not give up riding, that's for sure -

I think Booondocker hit it on the head.
I had my hip replaced halloween of 2012 did not ask the doctor when i would be able to ride knew he would not want me ridding as soon
as i wanted to. By december I was moving well and already had my trip planed to go out west.
Went out over xmas to new year everybody thought i was crazzy.
Got out there took sled out and there was no way I could put a lot of pressure on the new hip,sidehilling, turning
hard on that side.
After the first day I knew what i could and did not want to do to aggravte the new hip.
By february went up to the UP put on 400-500 mile was a little sore but i would just take some advil
or ibuprofen.
Seen my doc shortly after i got back from the mountaines, he was not inpressed with me going out ridding, but he has patched me up in the past and knows I push everything and can't sit still.
Told him I was just making sure he does good work and it would hold up!!
Just take it easy your first ride your body will tell you what you can n can't do or how long to ride.
booney

boilerrph

I had my left hip replaced the summer of 2011. I was able to ride without any limitations that winter. As a matter of fact, I felt better riding that winter than I had in the previous 5-6 years. That being said, my hip was replaced by the anterior approach in which no muscles or tendons are severed during the procedure and the recovery time is amazingly short and smooth. No physical therapy and the only restrictions were basically self-imposed by my own limitations. I was 53 years old at the time. My surgeon said I could basically do pretty much anything that I wanted to do.

groomerdriver

After I went back to work after my hip surgery they let me go after 3 days, said they are going in a different direction.

I know that it's "employment at will" in most states but that is such BS! Did you consult an attorney who specializes in labor disputes?

I was in the U.P. mid december with my 55 year old buddy who had a hip replacement in mid october, needless to say his Dr.
wasn't aware, but he had no probs.

By the way, we put on 525 miles over 2 and a half days. and last weekend 380 in two days in nw Minnesota.
He says it's doing fine.

I think what Fredster said about the rider forward position is right on, friend's doctor had mentioned not being able to see the back of his foot while
sitting down riding when he did ask.

Brent

Last edited: