Riding after spinal fusion?

bankers_hours

I am facing surgery to fix my lower back issue. From what I am told, fusion of the L4 L5 region is the only fix to my problem after other efforts failing. I'll limit the detail, only saying my sciatic nerve in the right leg is causing blow torch pain after only a short distance of walking. I am told I have degeneration of the disk and fusion is the best long term solution. I've been through MRI and X-rays to confirm this and years of dealing with lighter symtoms, so the current direction is no surprise.

My question for the JD crowd is, who has gone through this and assuming a positive outcome with no complications, were you able to continue snowmobiling?

I am a 51 year old fairly aggressive on trail rider. The thought of giving up the sport I love is troubling. The surgery will happen, so not looking for +/- on that, the pain is just too great to continue to live with. But, if I can retain hope of once again riding when the snow flies next year, it will help me get through this.

Enjoy your riding this year, you never know when it might be taken away from you. Unfortunately, I am done for this year.

frnash

TENS Unit for sciatica?

Have you tried a TENS unit for the sciatic nerve pain?

I have had herniated L4 & L5 disks for several decades, and the last time it acted up (20+ years ago) I could barely walk for the sciatic pain, 'til I got the TENS unit.

I never had a spinal fusion, only a series of cortisone injections in the lower spine by an anesthesiologist over three weeks. That reduced the level of pain to almost nonexistent, although with greater activity I will certainly still know I have a sciatic nerve! I feel that the remaining minimal level of pain is just enough to remind me to be careful. No spinal surgery for me, thanks.

I have a friend in his mid 70s who just had a vertebral bone spur repaired via spinal arthroscopy. It was a very successful operation, with only a minimal incision.

Last edited:

bankers_hours

The disc has eroded to the point it is allow bone to hit the nerve. Also been through the spinal shots you referenced including a nerve root block, zero relief. I wish I could explore other options, but the constant pain won't let me wait any longer.
Appreciate the idea.

Sno-Bandit Gary

Bankerhours. Welcome to the club. I know exactly what you are going through. I went throught he same thing in 2007. Without going into details I had back surgery for the same thing. I had a fusion as well. Like you I did not know if I would be able to ride again. But I am riding again. I took one full year off to heal and strengthen myself. Then I knew I would not be able to handle the ride on my 1998 Indy 500 so last year I went to a swap meet and bought a 1999 Polaris XLT two up. I was looking for a longer track and and better suspension. I rode about 1500 miles last year on that sled. I was convinced that I could continue to ride so this year I bought a 2010 Polaris FST LX. It has a 136in track and 14 inches of rear travel. The ride is awesome. I can not ride as aggressivly as I used to but I can still trail ride and I'm good with that.
This is just my story, everyone that has back surgery can have different results. Make sure you have a good surgeon. I wish you the best of luck and hope everything works out for the best. If you would like more detail email me at the address in my profile.

Gary
www.RomeSnoBandits.com

jay

I have a friend that his back was so bad about all he could do was crawl around. The Dr. went with pin pointing the nerve that was the problem and went in and killed the nerve. Took care of his pain and rides his bike in the summer and no problems. Would killing the nerve work for you ?

timmer72

Bankers hours, my wife had the same surgery about 4 years ago. Believe me, the orthopedists will try everything to remedy the pain of this condition before they decide to go ahead with surgery. Some have good results with treatment, some do not. My wife did not have good luck at all. Her job is requires quite a bit of physical activity so surgery was the best alternative.

On the riding front, I believe if the desire to ride was there she would be able to ride and enjoy it. However she chooses not to. After extensive physical activity she will have some minor soreness, mostly in her hip joint or sciatic(not sure on spelling), but her back itself feels well. There is maybe some limited mobility, but not much. If the doc is sayin you should have the surgery, do it. It was the best decision we made. As much as I love to ride, there would be no doubt I would be on a sled again!

Running Bear

I belong to the club too....not riding or grooming this year had the disc between the C5 & C6 removed...used coral to replace it... a plate and a couple of screws and they put it all back together again (sorry had to get a little cute).....worked well for me...not to have pain is great... I know mine is much higher...and you need to do what will work for you....but just wanted to let you know I know many people in the club of plates and screws (both C & Ls) probably 15 or more 2 of us sitting here right now and our good buddy going in on the 3rd ...and everyone of them is back riding or very active and so will the next member of the club......I'm doing real good and for me it is worth all I gave up to feel this good again, it was the last hope for me too (surgery)...a good surgeon is the key...good luck with everything

Linda

classic_rider

ahh yes as gary said welcome to the club,,,,,,,,,but yes there is hope,i to had my back fused, just full hip replacement, ,have no lower lumbar vertabre on right side,,and mri says disc degeneration , but give it time to heal and get a good suspension,,,i have the m-10 and you will ride again maybe not quite as hard as you used to but youl be out on the trails again,,,, its a great sport...

rp7x

disc replacement

a few years ago my wife had her L4/L5 disc replaced with a mechanical disc , she has complete moblity no regrets

bobsledder

Get rid of the pain!

I had a microdiskectomy (SP) several years ago and I put in a 300 mile day ride within an 1150 mile week last winter. Sounds like you need more aggressive surgery than I but keep the faith! My best advice is follow rehab and recovery exactly as prescribed. I got a M10 suspension, ride smarter, and stay on the trail.
Bob

bankers_hours

Thanks for all the input. Agree finding the right doc is key. The first surgeon I spoke with yesterday was referred to me but his schedule is booked until March. Living in pain and limited ability to do anything does not seem like an option for another month. I will continue the search for other doc options I guess. Up at 3 am this morning due to pain, so waiting does not seem like a good option.

Hope brings healing, so reading the story of those that have gone through this and gotten back in the saddle suggests if all goes well, riding can be the goal to get me through the follow up tasks to follow the surgery.

Thanks again for the encouragement. The JD and snowmobile community are great!

Pat

bigvin

I know I am chiming in a bit late,...
But Hang in there.
The back controls Everything.
Thank GOD the technology has advanced over the years.
I had mine done back in 1988 by a HACK with what would
be considered "How to operate with a dull butter knife",...
But back then,... wow,.... After 4 hours upright,... the rest
of the day would be squirming in unmentionable pain.
I had the operation in March and was sliding into bases playing
softball in June.
Though I am MUCH older now, and obviously could shed a 100 or 2,...LOL!,...
I can pretty much keep up with the crew!
I take 3 extra strength Bayer Back and Body Pain BEFORE the ride,...
3 during a break Mid-ride,.... and some more before bed,....
The only "pain" I feel then,.... is being out of shape. get a good Doc,...
and get it over with ASAP,.... you'll be enjoying your summer like you were a kid,...
:eek:)
Keep us posted.

ullrichsnow

First you need to see a new doctor, my husband last your ruptured his S1/ L5 disc and it started to paralyze his right leg. Found a good doctor in the Chicago area that does minimally invasive surgery. After surgery he was back to work (heavy equipment operator) in 2 weeks. Always get a second or third opinion. It has been just 7 short months and we are riding 200+ days.

snoped

sounds like alot of us know your pain & until you go through it you dont know. nothing worse than crawling on your hands & knees to go to the bathroom! i also had a microdiscectomy & i still get a little sore after doing things that i love to do but the soreness is night & day compared to pain.i also think rehab is the most importent part of the whole process.it is a life style change. the only thing ive found i cant do is play 36 holes of golf in a day so now i play 18 instead (fair trade off i think). there is a light at the end of the tunnel!!! rehab rehab rehab!!!!! im off to steamboat tomorrow for 5 days of boondokin, high flyin,ball bustin fun!!!!!!!!!!! good luck with everything

dolph

Bankers hour, Two years ago had surgery on L-2 &L-3. Took awhile to get back into the swing of things. My only advice is therapy-therapy. Afterwards stay in shape ,work out on a regular basis, this will really help. I to, am 52 years young and love to snowmobile,and still to this day "I DO" Good Luck Hope Everything Works Out

ibendwire

At this point it sounds like you have exhausted all your non-surgical options so the most important thing you can do now is to find a good surgeon. Having to wait a few weeks or a month for a good surgeon may pay huge dividends for you in the future. Remember that all surgeons are not created equal. Having said that you can have the best surgeon, He/she can do everything right and you still may not end up with the result that you were hoping for. So at this point, do your homework and good luck. I hope everything works out for the best. Having back issues myself (thankfully no surgery) I can understand your desire to get some relief.

bankers_hours

Thanks to all that replied. Seems unanamous that, assuming surgery goes well, snowmobiling can still be a part of my life. Now, I just need to get through the surgery and do what I am told for the recovery / rehab so I am good to go next season.
Hope everyone has a safe and enjoyable remainder of this season.

Pat

deuce

Yes, good luck with your back. There was a lot of good advice here, especially heal time, therapy, and (can't stress this enough) do the research on your Dr and get a good one. I could go on here forever with my story (fusion across 2 levels at the T12), but to keep it short I'll stick to yours. Everyone is different. Listen to your body, figure out what you can and can't do over time. For me, riding again actually strengthened the muscles in my back and made me feel better. But, in my case I have to avoid the lifting, or at least be smart about how I do get a sled unstuck. The other advice about getting a newer sled with a good suspension really helps (and reverse), especially something easy to stand up on when you hit the bumps.

I still ride a lot, and still boondock a lot, and have to say that I wouldn't be doing as well as I am had I quit riding. Best of luck to you and don't give up hope on your winter passion.