riding eastern u.p. michigan

articbonbon

I was wondering how the riding in the eastern part of the U.P. is? Thinking of going there the week of Feb 21st. Usually ride the Lake Gogebic area. Any suggestions where to ride and where to stay .

Bradzoo

Snow is usually good that time of year around Paradise, There are quite a few hotels in Newberry and Paradise, what type of accommodations are you looking for big chain hotels or mom and pop style, Paradise has a Best Western, Newberry a Comfort Inn and some others and there are alot of mom and pop hotels

Last edited:

polarisrider1

Grand Marais, MI is on my favorites list, so is Drummond Island to cross into Canada. Timing is critical on the east side of the UP. You have to ride when the riding is good, not when your "Boss" let's you have the time off. Mackinaw Island riding is a way cool thing to do! but again, not enough ice or snow most yrs. to make that work.

dopp

I like Munising
lots of hotels and other busineses
many sightseeing opts.
usualy great snow

sledheadM6

Grand Marais,Munising,Seney,Paradise,Newberry all great places to ride.Stay in Newberry for a hub and ride all areas above.It can get very busy on weekends but what place does not.If you can plan to ride during the week and u will have great trail conditions also there is alot of 2tracks to ride.

yoopermike

Grand Marais, MI is on my favorites list, so is Drummond Island to cross into Canada. Timing is critical on the east side of the UP. You have to ride when the riding is good, not when your "Boss" let's you have the time off. Mackinaw Island riding is a way cool thing to do! but again, not enough ice or snow most yrs. to make that work.

Timing is critical? I guess I am spoiled that I live here, but I have yet to target a certain time of the year to find good riding conditions or have to chase snow. It's pretty good everywhere from my experience, Jan thru the end of March, from Munsing to Paradise. Yeah, last year sucked, but it did everywhere else too.

polarisrider1

Timing is critical? I guess I am spoiled that I live here, but I have yet to target a certain time of the year to find good riding conditions or have to chase snow. It's pretty good everywhere from my experience, Jan thru the end of March, from Munsing to Paradise. Yeah, last year sucked, but it did everywhere else too.

Yes timing is critical. yoopermike it doesn't matter where you live. You answered your own question. Not only did last yr. suck but in the eastern half of the UP snow is most generally thinner than central or western UP. Did you read articbonbon's question?

mride460

Agree 100%!!! I have logged tens of thousands of miles backpacking all over the UP and I always start the ride in St. Ignace or Trout Lake and try to hit all the hot destinations in the eastern end either on the way west or on the return trip east. There is usually good riding to be had by mid to late December and I have had great conditions as late as St. Patty's day. The time you plan to go should be perfect snow wise. Lots of great mom and pops places to stay right on the trail to!!!
Please spend your money with the local folks....

Last winter was an ugly one all over up there!!!

Last edited:

mride460

Grand Marais,Munising,Seney,Paradise,Newberry all great places to ride.Stay in Newberry for a hub and ride all areas above.It can get very busy on weekends but what place does not.If you can plan to ride during the week and u will have great trail conditions also there is alot of 2tracks to ride.

You are spot on here!!!!!
23r9z6g.gif

yoopermike

Yes timing is critical. yoopermike it doesn't matter where you live. You answered your own question. Not only did last yr. suck but in the eastern half of the UP snow is most generally thinner than central or western UP. Did you read articbonbon's question?

I did read his question, I was only commenting on the riding conditions and trying to give him a broader scope of a good time to ride, as to not limit him to "this is the best week of the year so you better be here" or "you'll have to watch the weather to make sure you hit right after a storm so the trails won't suck". I disagree with your comment on snow being thinner here. We are just like the snowbelt areas in the Marquette area and the narrow/long stretch from the Keweenaw to Ironwood. If you look at historical snowcover maps, the area from Munising to Paradise typically has as much snow or more and covers a larger area. For examples, see below. I like to watch this stuff as a hobby and follow it closely and verify it by actually going out and riding it. I am only speaking from my personal experiences, so of course, like yours, it is merely an opinion.

And as for the lodging and places to stay, I agree with what everyone else said. Munising, Grand Marais, Newberry, and Paradise all have excellent accomodations and you would not be disappointed with any place you stay and ride.

Attachments

• snowdepth6.JPG
    snowdepth6.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 68
  • snowdepth8.JPG
    snowdepth8.JPG
    52.7 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:

polarisrider1

I guess it is in the interpretation of eastern UP that may have me lost. I draw the line from Paradise down to trout lake as the line from east to central UP. Places such as Picford, Cedarville, Drummond Island, Mackinaw Island and even the Soo are on my Eastern UP list. Those places and even Newberry and to the south can be iffy on snow. If someone such as articbonbon is willing to drive that far to ride they will need to do their homework. I have wasted many dollars riding that area in marginal snow just to get from point A to point B.. If articbonbon wants to see the sites on the east side that's great because there is lots to see. Just be more flexable on trip planning to get the "Good stuff". The UP snow belt that you have graphs of is are great guides to go by, but no garantee.

yoopermike

I guess it is in the interpretation of eastern UP that may have me lost. I draw the line from Paradise down to trout lake as the line from east to central UP. Places such as Picford, Cedarville, Drummond Island, Mackinaw Island and even the Soo are on my Eastern UP list. Those places and even Newberry and to the south can be iffy on snow. If someone such as articbonbon is willing to drive that far to ride they will need to do their homework. I have wasted many dollars riding that area in marginal snow just to get from point A to point B.. If articbonbon wants to see the sites on the east side that's great because there is lots to see. Just be more flexable on trip planning to get the "Good stuff". The UP snow belt that you have graphs of is are great guides to go by, but no garantee.

I agree with you entirely with what you have said here. For those that live in this area, the dividing line is pretty much M-77 from US-2 to Grand Marais and east of the line. I include Munising only because the snowbelt extends all the way over there to the west. Good discussion....

Last edited:

callen

You'll be fine

I have been riding the munising, grand Marais, seney, pardise, trout lake area for the last 16 years and you'll be just fine with the snow conditions. Even if there isn't much in the way of system snow you'll still be able to ride north of 28 as far east as Paradise with all the LES they get. In my opinion Grand Marais and Seney trails are some of the best in the UP with how well they are groomed (even on weekends).

Sites to see (east to west)- Whitefish Point, Taquamana Falls (upper and lower), Log Slide (grand marais), Kingston Plains, Pictured rocks and Munising falls.

Make sure you make some time to eat at Buckhorn and have a drink a Bear Trap! Have a great trip!

Clintondf

i think newberry is a grat place to stay. usually snow is really good from there north, northeast and northwest. in a good year its all good. i have stayed in trout lake a couple times. imo its not nearly as good as on further north and west. I just dont think the snow is as good in the east up. you can also ride south to naubinway and see the vintage sled museum, pretty neat stuff in there.

The problem with Newberry is they have a 10:00pm (or 11:00pm) curfew in town for sleds. Grand Marais is the place to stay. From there you can ride east or west and stay in good snow. The problem with Paradise is west is the only good way to go...east is usually beat up.

Clintondf

be sure to stop at Lake Superior Brewing co. in Grand Marais. The Bear Trap over in the wetmore/shingleton area, on your way to the Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore.

johndeere06

ride eastern u.p.

if your looking for cheap nice hotel go to bears den in mcmillian they got 24 hour gas and 24 hour food and service i would give 5 out of 5 this s good place and trails r close by also

getsome

Grand Marais,Seney,Munising,and Pine Stump is my favorite zone.
Enitre seasons worth of boondocking - 50 mile range.