Rock Cut by Mt Arvon

robocopf7

I am wondering if any of the local experts can tell me how to get to a large railroad rock cut from the 1890s in the Mt Arvon area.

I found the info on Wikipedia, and it describes a rock cut 300 feet deep and 1000 feet long near Mt Arvon. This was from the Iron Range and Huron Bay Railroad around the 1890s.

According the article, the rail bed was confiscated by the State of Michigan for back taxes, and some of it was converted to roads by Marquette County.

We heading to the Big Bay area in a week on a sled trip, so if anyone knows where this is, let me know.

Also, if anyone has any more of historical gems like these, I am sure others would love to know. For example, we liked the rail road exchange by Lake Linden on the sled trail. I find the historical stuff fascinating, and love seeing old stuff like that.

Thans for any help.

rakins800

I'd say your best bet is the internet,or find some older locals that know about such things. They can be found at eateries and taverns especialy in the mornings. The crazy things I've heard,seen,and found with help from these old codgers would boggle the average joe......just sayin. Good luck,and let us know what you find.........

robocopf7

My thought is if no one has heard of it, then its probably inaccessible. I would think that something that amazing would be on the map, but its possible that it was abandoned and has overgrown. I would hate to think that the public wouldn't be able to see that. I tried doing some digging on the Internet, but I mostly found articles about the defunct railroad, and some Michigan Archive stuff on the same. It would be nice if someone could find a road name where this at, or maybe GPS coordinates.

ragsled

is this it?

I bought a sled from a guy on this site and this is a picture he sent me while I was checking it out. I bet anyone who knows the area is out this weekend playing in the fresh pow-pow.

Attachments

• 03%2014_0126[1].jpg
    03%2014_0126[1].jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 138

frnash

I'm not personally familiar with the rock cut, or the route of the defunct Iron Bay & Huron Bay Railroad, but I have a hunch that Huron Bay Rd/Co Rd 607 from US-41 at the northeast end of Lake Michigamme near the Peshekee River to Roland Lake would be a good place to start your search.

This route is variously known as the Peshekee Grade, Huron Bay Grade, Huron Bay-Peshekee Grade ... Ravine River Road to Roland Lake. This route will take you to within 1.5 miles of Mt. Arvon along the way.

From Roland Lake then Roland Lake Road and Skanee Road would take you to Skanee.

I'm almost sure that you'd find the cut along that route.
<hr width="75%" size="2">Here's a Google map, and directions (just a "road map" — the route was barely visible in the satellite view):
Driving directions to Skanee, MI

1 hour 34 mins, (via) Roland Lake Rd 34.3 mi

Co Rd 607/Huron Bay Grde
1. Head northeast on Co Rd 607/Huron Bay Grde toward Co Rd Ida, Continue to follow Huron Bay Grde: 14.5 mi
2. Continue straight onto Huron Bay-Peshekee Grde: 4.6 mi
3. Slight right: 2.3 mi
4. Turn left: 1.7 mi
5. Turn right: 1.6 mi
6. Turn right: 0.4 mi
7. Turn left: 0.3 mi
8. Turn left: 1.8 mi
9. Turn left

(Intermediate) Destination will be on the left: 233 ft

27.1 mi – about 1 hour 13 mins.

(Then continue on) Unknown road
10. Head west: 43 ft
11. Turn right toward Ravine Rd: 226 ft
12. Turn left toward Ravine Rd: 0.2 mi
13. Continue straight onto Ravine Rd: 0.2 mi
14. Continue straight onto Ravine River Rd: 1.8 mi
15. Turn left at Roland Lake Rd: 2.9 mi
16. Turn left at Skanee Rd: 1.5 mi
17. Turn right at Town: 0.5 mi

7.2 mi – about 21 mins

Skanee, MI

Total 34.3 miles, about 1 hour 34 mins.

Last edited:

rakins800

once again NASH is correct. that grade is where that pic above is from,I'm sure. that would be where I'd start looking. I've been up that grade all the way to Skanee,and from what I've read,that is the old rail route. really scenic area up that way..........
That grade is just west of Champion,MI.,as NASH points out. happy hunting........

micelist

you need a pretty good amount of snow to get in there. lot sof boulders in the cut but it is wotrth the trip

frnash

Added Map

I've just added a Google map of Huron Bay Rd/Co Rd 607 from US-41 at the northeast end of Lake Michigamme near the Peshekee River to Roland Lake (variously known as the Peshekee Grade, Huron Bay Grade, Huron Bay-Peshekee Grade ... Ravine River Road.

I have added directions as well. See my previous post.

robocopf7

Is this road have sled traffic or is it ridable? I mean my group probably won't venture miles off the main trail if thats where it is. Thanks for the info, I will post pics and description if we find it. You guys are great. Any other gems out there like this?

eao

Huron Bay Rd/Co Rd 607 from US-41 at the northeast end of Lake Michigamme near the Peshekee River

Lots of big rock cuts on this road farther North, some very long. I know there is one several hundred feet but cannot recall how tall

Here is a pic along the road
a1769647-f54d-4833-8e2c-60c19cbd70c2.jpg

*CURRENT SURVEY CONTROL
GEOID HEIGHT- -33.71 (meters) GEOID99
DYNAMIC HT - 530.426 (meters) 1740.24 (feet) COMP
MODELED GRAV- 980,620.7 (mgal) NAVD 88

VERT ORDER - SECOND CLASS 0

_MARKER: DB = BENCH MARK DISK
_SETTING: 66 = SET IN ROCK OUTCROP
_STAMPING: T 155 1948
_STABILITY: A = MOST RELIABLE AND EXPECTED TO HOLD
+STABILITY: POSITION/ELEVATION WELL

HISTORY - Date Condition Recov. By
HISTORY - 1948 MONUMENTED CGS

01/01/1948 by CGS (MONUMENTED)
DESCRIBED BY COAST AND GEODETIC SURVEY 1948
15.2 MI NW FROM CHAMPION. ABOUT 2.35 MILES WEST ALONG U.S. HIGHWAY 41 FROM THE STATION AT CHAMPION, THENCE 12.85 MILES NORTHWEST ALONG THE HURON BAY GRADE, 0.5 MILE SOUTHEAST OF A 40-FOOT WOODEN BRIDGE, ON A LONG NORTHWEST-SOUTHEAST TANGENT IN THE ROAD, SET IN A SMALL SHELF IN THE FACE OF A CUT THRU SOLID ROCK, 40 FEET NORTHWEST OF THE SOUTHEAST END OF THE CUT, 13 FEET NORTHEAST OF THE CENTER LINE OF THE ROAD AND ABOUT 3 FEET ABOVE THE ROAD.

Last edited:

rakins800

ROBOCOP- trail 8 crosses this road........just west of where the railroad grade ends and the powerline riding begins. about 16 miles west of Ishpeming. and about 5-7 miles west of the trail 8 and trail 5 intersection.
How am I doin,frnash????LOL

and yes its open to sleds.......but watch for log trucks!!!! they do plow this road,so you'll need to go soon after a snowfall.

Last edited: