roofing question

jjj70095

I had part of my roof reshingled around 3 years ago. For some reason, the last row of green coating has fallen off, leaving a metal type surface for the last row. It is right above the gutter (see pics). I tried to contact the roofer to see if we should replace the shingles, but they are not returning my texts. Should I be concerned?
I have had no leaks. Should they have put the last row right above the gutter?

Attachments

• coating of of shingle2.JPG
    coating of of shingle2.JPG
    979.9 KB · Views: 77
  • coating off of shingle3.JPG
    coating off of shingle3.JPG
    997.3 KB · Views: 73

mezz

I had part of my roof reshingled around 3 years ago. For some reason, the last row of green coating has fallen off, leaving a metal type surface for the last row. It is right above the gutter (see pics). I tried to contact the roofer to see if we should replace the shingles, but they are not returning my texts. Should I be concerned?
I have had no leaks. Should they have put the last row right above the gutter?
That is not the "last row" its the first row or starter course. It's hard to tell exactly by the pictures, but it almost looks like the color washed out of them. They don't look damaged, however, they should not have lost their color.

Last edited:

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
Any debris on the ground? Almost looks like a flashing or is that the decking showing? A complete loss of the Starter Row is unlikely when considering how they're attached. Close-up pictures would help.

jjj70095

I am trying to up load a close up pic, but it wont let me...it is only 1.7meg, smaller than the other pics I posted...
The only thing on the ground is the green coating....

Is it normal to cover the whole gutter with the starter row?? I think that was the problem. It covers it completely.....

jjj70095

ok here is a close up pic, you see the entire green coating is off the section, and it covers the whole gutter....

Attachments

• coat.JPG
    coat.JPG
    409.7 KB · Views: 53

pclark

That is most likely a gutter cover. You can see the way it is made so that water flows into it and the gutter while keeping all the roof debris out.

Definitley don't look like shingles to me.

jjj70095

hmmmm.....it may be a gutter cover afterall, let me check with my gutter person, who put in new gutters a few years ago......i think i did pay him for the gutter cover..........i have some extra shingles (got em at Menards) and they do not have the holes in them that appear in the picture.....

Last edited: