Rusk County

snowdog104

No snow to speak of in Rusk County except some in the Blue Hills-- 6" or so. All trails are currently closed. Less than 2" in the rest of the county.

snowdog104

Still nothing open in Rusk. We received about 1/2" of fluff over the last couple days. Not enough to even cover up the grass in my lawn here in Ladysmith. 8-12" is holding up in the Blue Hills that could definitely be ridden from Bruce up into Sawyer County (Trail 31)... not sure what's going on there. I have a message out to the club.

snowdog104

Northern Rusk Co is close to opening. South of 8 still being snubbed by old man winter. Blue Hills is shaping up good. They groomed 133 yesterday from F to Betty Lake Road. They panned a chunk of 31 but ran out of snow going towards Bruce. For you guys riding Sawyer County/Birchland/Exeland area you can jump down on 133 and visit the Bruce Warming Shelter up in the hills. Blue Hills Rusk County Forest land is open to sleds but ride at your own risk. Private land trails are still closed.

Hawkins area- going up toward Flambeau Forest is also close. I have a message out to Hawkins to see if they are considering opening 25N and 16 to connect with Price and Sawyer County. That would help get some traffic into Hawkins as that is a really great trail from Hawkins to Flambeau Forest.

snowdog104

Hawkins did open up their trails on Friday and Saturday but the rain Saturday-Monday put a hurting on them. Latest forecasts are putting Rusk County in line with roughly 6-10" throughout the week. I'll push another update out on Friday morning. For right now, all Rusk County private land trails are closed.

zert100

Hawkins did open up their trails on Friday and Saturday but the rain Saturday-Monday put a hurting on them. Latest forecasts are putting Rusk County in line with roughly 6-10" throughout the week. I'll push another update out on Friday morning. For right now, all Rusk County private land trails are closed.

Thanks! appreciate the updates...

snowdog104

We will be open by Saturday! Maybe sooner. Groomers have been out all night and some going yet this morning. A lot of work to do. The 6-10" we were supposed to get for the week all came last night with another 6-10" projected for tonight/tomorrow. Happy day!

If you've never ridden Rusk County, I'd encourage you to give it a try. I honestly believe are the most underrated 330 miles of trails in the state.

Last edited:

snowdog104

I've been out riding quite a bit so no time for JohnDee board. 270 over the weekend and another 40 last night. Everything in Rusk is open and it's snowing to beat ****. All trails are in good to very good condition with the exception of Ladysmith. This city is a nightmare to navigate through.

sweeperguy

I've been out riding quite a bit so no time for JohnDee board. 270 over the weekend and another 40 last night. Everything in Rusk is open and it's snowing to beat ****. All trails are in good to very good condition with the exception of Ladysmith. This city is a nightmare to navigate through.

Ladysmith sucks to drive through also