Safe riding for kids

campsob

I have been asked by a newcomer to the sport what is a safe riding plan for taking a 6 year old passenger with as a passenger. In other words how long between stops, time and distance. I have been riding for decades along with my kids and grandkids, but I haven't been able to come up with definitive guidelines, common sense is not an answer when the person has no experience. This is kind of like someone going to Florida for the first time and asking how long is it safe to be in the sun. There must be some guidelines taking into account the temperature, wind chill, etc. Can anyone help me out here?

old abe

It all depends on the child. They're different. You said it best, common sense!!! Just start slow, and take it a little easy at first. They will be fine.

maddogg

I plan on taking our 3 year olds out this year. I'm just basing it off of when they get cold. My expectations are low for miles, but the fun factor should be kept high for them. I remember when I was a kid, my parents strapped pillows on the handlebars and cookie stops were the best lol.

elf

We started taking our kids with at about 3. Lots of 100 mile plus days by the time they were 5 & 6. Just bring warm extra clothes, snacks, and lots of stops. We
stop and build fires and cook out all the time on trail sides.

sjb

All depends on the kid. My son, when he was 6 or 7, he was doing 100-200 mile days with me on the back no issue. My daughter, at age 7, don't think I could do 15 miles without a stop, and no more than 50 miles a day.

ridindirty800

Where do you guys have your kids sit? I prefer them in front of me until they are big enough to sit behind me and safely hold on. I have also heard people getting a hard time from police about riding with kids in front??

maddogg

I let mine choose. Most times they are in front of me, for the wife and shorter arms, its more of a problem. I haven't been stopped yet, and I may be wrong but I don't think there are any regulations on it????

campsob

Good idea with the pillows. I remember alot of helmet knock.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree, we always found Sunday afternoon to Thursday morning to be the safest.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm with you. The real young ones are safer in front.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't know of any regulations but i would rather have an eye on them at all times.

snowshoe

Glue a piece of a foam swim noodle to their helmet. Keeps the chin music down.

I dress myself lighter than i normally do. Lighter gloves or whatever works. I figure when i start to get cold they probably are too.

One more hint. Tell them that when they turn 12 they can drive. You'll have the cleanest sled around. ;)

bring hand warmers with, if they are sitting in front. Sometimes its hard for them to have their hands on the bar warmers the same time as yours, so they will need something extra to warm their hands when not on the bar warmers.

lofsfire

My kids are 7 and 10 now and I started out with them in front of me. I had never received any problems when riding this way. They do make a harness that straps the kid to you. (In front or behind). But another thing to think about is what if you hit something, another sled comes around a blind corner etc. You will crush your kids to the handle bars. When I had my kids in front of me I made them wear a Tekvest its not 100% but it offers some protection... Besides the vest one of the smartest thing to bring is hand warmer packs, but keep in mind these take 5-10 mins to warm up and can get very hot for the younger kids if directly on skin. Also when I had the kids riding in front of me I added a mountian grab handle that was flexible but rigid enough to give them a hand hold.
DSCF6448.jpg

My current setup is a Equinox 685 snowcoach if you have only one sled and two kids this works great. My older son of course wants his own fullsize sled but for now he will have to practice around the house till he is 12. Which he will be able to do on his new to him 1998 Jag 340 (As I'm writing this he does not even know I bought it for him. He won't find out till after school on Monday.
IMAG1440.jpg IMAG1410.jpg IMAG1104.jpg

As far as mileage or timed stops the kids are all different, heck for that matter each day riding is different. If you road the same trail every time would you take a break in the exact same spot. Common since and knowing your child is the only thing that needs to guide you on this. Something that can assist is good communication. With that said before I bough the snowcoach I guy on Arctic Chat told how he wire a light on his dash the would flash when the kids pressed a button in his snowcoach. He told them to only use it when it was "important". What was important to a child is not as important to and adult... I decide against a dummy light, I had Communicators so I put these on both of my boys helmets. After one trip I quickly learned my youngest has a lot to say. And his my not be "charge enough" or maybe "forgotten" sometimes to be plugged in hear and there. My oldest is still able to talk to me and say if a break is needed. and they are still able to talk to each other. (My oldest knows to move the mic boom out of his helmet what they are talking to each other.) So far this is the best system I have found.

Chicago Boy

My son is 3 in May and ill be taking him out this year. We start in Houghton and stop in Mohawk then stop in Copper for diner then fly back south.Im sure that is about all he can take in one day