Sandy: really that epic

snoluver1

I was wondering the same thing. Growing up on the East coast, I have lived through many a "Nor'easta". (Don't worry Professor Nash, I spelled it wrong on purpose ;)) They happen pretty much every year. Yes they are large, powerful and destructive storms. This one just seems to be getting a lot more attention/hype than usual??

Last edited:

cuzzinolaf

I'm seeing mixed things from my friends on the east coast on Facebook. I'm seeing pictures of houses down near the shore with 2+ feet of water, one shark swimming around in a guys front yard, and some wind damage. It still doesn't seem that bad compared to what they were predicting.

Edit* Here is the shark pic.. just because it is something wacky.

shark.jpg

jd

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I am probably the wrong guy to ask about this as I have a strong bias in thinking the national media ALWAYS embellishes their stories!

With that said, the storm is not over yet, so kind of hard to make a final call just yet. Plus, I have to admit that I really have not been following most of the coverage from the national media, so it would not be right of me to give an opinion on this event.

For sure, this was a huge and unique system. One that has not happened like it did since I have been watching the weather and perhaps since folks have been watching the weather in North America. I did hear where some schools in Mass. were closed yesterday. I thought that might have been a bit of overkill as they had an inch or so of rain and 35 mph winds. Not really the type of conditions to cancel schools.

It will be interesting to see the extent of the damage done in the coming days. My heart goes out to those impacted and hopefully the loss of life and injury list is not too extensive.

By the way, parts of WV are getting hammered by snow, with as much as 17" fallen as of 3 am this morning and probably another 10-15" to go.

-John

mjkaliszak

Gotta... luv, the pics of snow !
Denzel Washington was making fun of Jim Cantori last night on " Letterman ", kind of funny if you ask me !

timo

from what i've seen on line and on tv this sure does seem to be the big one. probably close to a billion dollars in destruction.?.?

weatherjan

I live near Syracuse, NY and many schools were closed yesterday (Mon.) when Hurr. Sandy was still well off east coast. I thought the decision to close was unjustified. So the hype in our area was excessive.
I think Hurr. Sandy will be noted for her extreme size and the fact she interacted with the trough to the west with the trough going negative.
The trough that picked up Hazel in Oct. 1954 only went slightly negative.
Sandy did set record high levels at Battery Park in NYC exceeding the value set by Hurr. Donna in 1960 by 4'. Excessive flooding in the East Village of NYC due to overflowing of the East River. 90 mi/hr wind gust at Islip, LI NY and 85 mi/hr at JFK. Heavy snow in West VA and mountains of VA (18 in. from one report). A noticed a report of 9" of snow from a station in West VA with a water content of 1.94" as of 0700 EDT 30 Oct.
Record low pressure readings from several stations in DE/NJ and eastern PA. At one point both Chicago and Portland ME were experiencing wind gusts of 40 mi/hr. So the scale of Sandy was impressive.
Overall, Sandy was an epic storm but in Central NY, she was a bust and underachiever.

Jan Sterling

yoopermike

What I read was 20 billion in property damage and another 10-30 billion in lost business. By the way, where is the storm headed now?

snowgangy

Epic Indeed

What I read was 20 billion in property damage and another 10-30 billion in lost business. By the way, where is the storm headed now?

I live in New England and if this was not epic, I don't know what you would all consider epic. Anytime a storm knocks out power to 6,000,000 from Maine to Indiana, dumps 3' of snow to WV, completely shuts down the subway system in NY, completely wipes out shoreline communities from RI to NJ, produces flood warnings and humongous waves from the Atlantic Coast of Maine to Lake Superior on the same day, its an epic storm..

All the best to those who are living through this nightmare

yoopermike

I live in New England and if this was not epic, I don't know what you would all consider epic. Anytime a storm knocks out power to 6,000,000 from Maine to Indiana, dumps 3' of snow to WV, completely shuts down the subway system in NY, completely wipes out shoreline communities from RI to NJ, produces flood warnings and humongous waves from the Atlantic Coast of Maine to Lake Superior on the same day, its an epic storm..

All the best to those who are living through this nightmare

I agree 100% with all of the above. Just wish we would have gotten the 3' of snow....

snowgangy

I agree 100% with all of the above. Just wish we would have gotten the 3' of snow....

me too.. although until after thanksgiving, the snow melts very quickly and the ground is not frozen.. (I am speaking from New England), maybe in the UP, things freeze up quicker..