SE WI - Walworth - Waukesha - Racine - Kenosha - Jefferson Counties

ryanslyne

Back for another year on this thread! Many of clubs in area have started marking trails as we have had a fairly dry fall and farmers had a pretty good/ relatively quick harvest compared to some years. Our club in East Troy hopes to finish our trails up on Saturday. Anyone looking to join a club and help out please message me! Even your donation as a club member goes a long way for our trails! Walworth County Snowmobile Alliance has a cash raffle this year instead of a sled raffle due to covid so anyone interested in tickets let me know we can do payment via Venmo, PayPal or Check and I can get some tickets filled out for you. $20 a ticket grand prize $2500, 2nd $1000 and 3rd $500 drawing April 1st. Will post back here about the area once we have something more to post about! Hope you all had a good off season.

RS

whitedust

Where is there trailer parking in Western Racine County that hooks up by trail to Walworth and Waukesha country?

whitedust

Dover Inn. Look it up. That's where you want to park.

I don’t know the Racine trail system yet. How do I get across the Fox River from Dover Inn? I used to know the Walworth County and Jefferson County Trail system very well. Accessed the Drumlin trail thru the Kettle trails near Whitewater north of RT 12. Seems from Dover Inn it would be a problem riding west and crossing the Fox River. I’m sure there has been many changes I go back to riding thru Elkhorn getting thru Delevan where the Walmart is now. I remember when all that trail was lost to urban sprawl. I’m up for riding here when possible but lots to learn since I can’t ride from my house so have to trailer somewhere.

euphoric1

Where is there trailer parking in Western Racine County that hooks up by trail to Walworth and Waukesha country?

You are more than welcome to launch from my shop, just call and give me heads up. Don't mind when people ask, just don't want it to become a community drop. The yard is a bit of a mess right now but getting it straightened out, hopefully soon so I can get my own trailer and sleds out :upset:

Last edited:

whitedust

You are more than welcome to launch from my shop, just call and give me heads up. Don't mind when people ask, just don't want it to become a community drop. The yard is a bit of a mess right now but getting it straightened out, hopefully soon so I can get my own trailer and sleds out :upset:
This area is take rides while the conditions are available. I’m game to come to your shop to ride with ya since Trail time is precious here. I used ride alone when I had to in U.P. and Vilas when I lived there but knew the trails and FRs like the back of my hand. I know nothing about Racine but hope to know it well if I can buddy up with someone the learning curve could be reduced and have some good times.

ryanslyne

I don’t know the Racine trail system yet. How do I get across the Fox River from Dover Inn? I used to know the Walworth County and Jefferson County Trail system very well. Accessed the Drumlin trail thru the Kettle trails near Whitewater north of RT 12. Seems from Dover Inn it would be a problem riding west and crossing the Fox River. I’m sure there has been many changes I go back to riding thru Elkhorn getting thru Delevan where the Walmart is now. I remember when all that trail was lost to urban sprawl. I’m up for riding here when possible but lots to learn since I can’t ride from my house so have to trailer somewhere.

Whitedust if you drop at Dover Inn there is no issues getting across the fox. I Mark the East Troy trails that connect Walworth and Racine County for our club and ride to Dover Inn when you can. If you drop at Dover Inn you have to head north and ride the trail around Tichigan Lake. You will cross the fox via road bridge by Captain Missy's and The Cruise. Depending on the year you will see tracks also running the river/ Tichigan Lake. From there you take the trail west along the north side of Waterford The Racine County trail connects with Walworth county trails on Hill Valley Rd. at the railroad tracks. There is also a DNR parking lot on the north side of Hill Valley Rd. and as well probably a half mile north of the trail on Bell School Rd. on the north side of the road and to my knowledge in the winter time there is no issues parking a truck and trailer to drop in a DNR public land parking lot to access trails. Here is link to Racine County Map as well as Walworth County map where you can connect the dots. Questions let me know. Depending on where you live and how far you want to drive there are also plenty of good options to drop in Walworth/ Waukesha county.

Racine map: http://grovesnohawks.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/RCA_snow_map_2016-17.pdf
Walworth map: http://nebula.wsimg.com/650ac36cad0...8FCFDF5D494DD9D1C&disposition=0&alloworigin=1

I should also note that it is actually a pretty nice ride for down here as you go through the Tichigan Wildlife area. The only area you have to be careful of is after you cross the bridge going over the Fox heading west the trail is permanently marked in the marsh and some years it is not safe for travel. If it is safe you will know they usually drag a groomer through the cattails and knock it down so you can see where you are going. If this is not done I would not recommend following single tracks into the marsh, usually there are plenty of tracks going around it ditch riding it around the large piece of marsh and it is easy to follow, this is where you see marsh rd. on the map before you cross hwy 83.

RS

Last edited:

whitedust

Ryanslyne: thanks for the info I’ll PM you with questions for best trailer launch location. Last season never got going here so difficult to check things out. I live on the west side of Buena lake not far from Marsh road where the trail map shows a road crossing. I considered ditch banging in a good snow to that trail but I didn’t want to cross a bunch of driveways and piss off anyone. Buena froze up last night but I’m not sure it’s permanent yet.

jakester

We have also marked our trails in Mchenry county IL.. I am in the Richmond club and we connect with Walworth county in Genoa city and just north of Hebron Il. When we have snow the trails are great. I live off the chain in Johnsburg area and when lakes and river are froze it can be a good time. you can enter the trails off the river just alittle north of HWY 50. Also, Rock County trails in Wisconsin are a fun ride. Whitedust, just curious, why did you leave up north? I want to do the opposite. Praying for some snow!

whitedust

We have also marked our trails in Mchenry county IL.. I am in the Richmond club and we connect with Walworth county in Genoa city and just north of Hebron Il. When we have snow the trails are great. I live off the chain in Johnsburg area and when lakes and river are froze it can be a good time. you can enter the trails off the river just alittle north of HWY 50. Also, Rock County trails in Wisconsin are a fun ride. Whitedust, just curious, why did you leave up north? I want to do the opposite. Praying for some snow!

5 hour drive to southern WI and # 3 daughter came down with cancer so we came back to SE WI primary to help her as much as we can. Realtor had a buyer in her pocket to buy our house so we didn’t even list our house and everything moved very quickly. We found a house on Buena Lake and the Fox River that needed updating but otherwise good to go so we moved just before Halloween last year back to SE WI. We spent 15 fabulous years on Spectacle Lake in Phelps had great fun snowmobiling with good friends but time to move came around and I had to roll with the punches. Moving up to Vilas is a difficult adjustment for some women most men love it but it is cold and Spring doesn’t come until late May or early June. It’s smart to spend most of April and early May south like FL or TX. Vilas pretty much closes down and not much to do in freeze and thaw into late May. If you do move north make sure your wife is good with lack of amenities and shopping and being 5 hours from family. It’s a lot more complicated than you may think to move away from family and good medical just no GP doctors in Vilas medical facilities had all cut back to nurse practitioners. Maybe Covid changed that for the better not a good place to be sick you have to travel to Wausau for excellent care. I loved it but I don’t need much support pretty much self sufficient but not for everyone.

whitedust

That's what I was wondering. So will there be no Northern Wisconsin updates from you this winter Whitedust?

Sorry not so much. I plan three 5 day weekday trips to Vilas and southern UP depending on snow conditions but we ride remote areas where most don’t ride. In reality I’m dependent on Riding buds and what Evers and Whitmer will allow same as everyone else that needs hotels and restaurants. I’m worried now so nothing I can do but wait and see.

ryanslyne

Well John's forecast looks nice today for us in SE WI. Could it be that southern Wisconsin trails could open before northern Wisconsin trails this year? That would be kind of crazy! I guess it would be fitting for the way 2020 has gone thus far! I guess we will wait and see how it plays out!

RS

whitedust

Are the trails ready to open now if the snow does fall?

No you would be riding mud sunny 49 now same tomorrow. Ice disappearing on the lake. If we get heavy snow which is doubtful it would be slush city, melt and gone. Unfortunately too warm and too soon to do any good here.

ryanslyne

Are the trails ready to open now if the snow does fall?

I can't speak for surrounding counties but I know Walworth County is ready last I heard as majority of the clubs finished everything up last weekend. It of course as always would depend on how much snow we get if any. You all know how that goes with winter weather forecasts down here. The local weather guessers are better at predicting temperature and wind that is about it at any given time during the year! haha I know for example Kenosha County if all their trails are in is 4-6" required with frost in ground and I think 6"+ required with little or no frost in the ground they have used that guideline for years or something similar to that.

RS

euphoric1

56 yesterday...50's today and depending on the outlet anywhere from .6" to 8" saturday so who knows but with the warmth I wouldn't hold my breath, going to be mushy

SledTL

No you would be riding mud sunny 49 now same tomorrow. Ice disappearing on the lake. If we get heavy snow which is doubtful it would be slush city, melt and gone. Unfortunately too warm and too soon to do any good here.

They like to ride the 155 RMK in backyard mud so sounds perfect for them.