Season in the UP

zakstang

How long are trails rideable up here around Twin Lakes usually? End of march??? looking to come back up but not sure how late there is good snow..thx

simonsr1

most years the trails are very good through the end of march, but the last couple of years have been rough, I think 2 or 3 years ago, there was no snow at all and on april 1st they got dumped on, last year there was alot of snow, but the trails were just ice,
I always go up the last weekend in march with the wife and kids to visit family, and i hope we just get lucky with the conditions.
late march riding is very good(if there is snow), a lot less traffic, trails are usually smoother

windingtrailgal

This year it's anyone's guess!!!

so true! 4 years ago, we were riding the last week of March until April 3 from the Mass City area up to Copper Harbor, Gay and all around the area in play spots. We had AWESOME conditions and the trails almost to ourselves. Rained on us April 3 and had the interesting dilemma of how to wipe the rain from my visor! When I put it up, hurt like heck to get pelted with rain?!

It's a wait and see game. We got lucky that year and was one of the best week long trips we ever had! :)

dab102999

So true on this year...anyones guess...but would have to say the wife and kids, expesially when they were younger loved march riding...a little warmer and a lot more chance of sun being out when you ride...makes for those trailside stops a lot nicer.

timner

You never know!! This was Easter weekend '07. John could probably comment on snow totals for that weekend!!!

radsrh

so true! 4 years ago, we were riding the last week of March until April 3 from the Mass City area up to Copper Harbor, Gay and all around the area in play spots. We had AWESOME conditions and the trails almost to ourselves. Rained on us April 3 and had the interesting dilemma of how to wipe the rain from my visor! When I put it up, hurt like heck to get pelted with rain?!

It's a wait and see game. We got lucky that year and was one of the best week long trips we ever had! :)

The trails that cross private property close on March 31st???? So any riding on the trails that cross private property after that date is tresspassing.

That could be why you had the trails almost to yourself, it was illegal?

Last edited:

mezz

You never know!! This was Easter weekend '07. John could probably comment on snow totals for that weekend!!!

That was a memorable & epic dumping. We had merely traces of snow left on April 2, 2007, in fact, I was raking the lawn & finished picking up the winters tree sheddings on April 1st. Snows began on April 3rd & snowed steadily until April 6th (Good Friday). By April 7th we had anywhere from 38 to 62" of fresh pow in the area! Rode right from the door.

Riding in March is usually decent, but, considering the snow cover we have now & the current funky pattern that we are in, it is going to be scetchy at best. As far as this season goes, I still think there is hope, it might not be much, but there is still some hope. I refuse to give up.-Mezz

catalac

The trails that cross private property close on March 31st???? So any riding on the trails that cross private property after that date is tresspassing.

That could be why you had the trails almost to yourself, it was illegal?
In the UP too? You sure?

radsrh

Yes sure the contract with the landowners expires on March 31st as well as the club insurance that covers landowners.