Seasonal roads should be left to snowmobiling

sixball

I need to vent! We have lost so much grate riding in the Mio,Lewiston,Atlanta area of Mi. All the old two tracks and trails are being plowed now by the gas company's. In many areas they will drive on the snowmobile trails to get to a well. With all the trees down from the heavy snow we had the only riding left is the snowmobile trails. It looks like we are going to have a poor year. I don’t expect to get to run any of the small unmarked trails do to the trees and bushes down. We use to do 100’s of miles on small two tracks. It was always the thing to do on weekends to avoid some of the traffic. I think the driving on the trails may stop if we had more snow. They likely think there not leaving much damage driving on the trails now, the snow cover is so thin.
Seasonal roads should be left to snowmobiling LOL....

chevytaHOE5674

People have jobs to do. I'm guessing they plow the seasonal roads to get to their oil wells, pumping stations, etc. They need to be able to access them should something happen. I plow seasonal roads and on occasion portions of the snowmobile trails for logging and hear complaints about it all day long. Fact is there are jobs that go on even when the snow hits the ground.

MZEMS2

People have jobs to do. I'm guessing they plow the seasonal roads to get to their oil wells, pumping stations, etc. They need to be able to access them should something happen. I plow seasonal roads and on occasion portions of the snowmobile trails for logging and hear complaints about it all day long. Fact is there are jobs that go on even when the snow hits the ground.

X2, yup, jobs, utilities, transportation, and livelihoods have a little more priority than playing.

ill marty

Some times seasonal roads are plowed by land owners to get to their camp. Our friends up nort plow about ten miles of seasonal road to get to their remote camp. I just remind him to leave a nice bank for us to ride on. In those tree blocked areas brush them during the fall with 4 wheeler and some chain saws thats what i do .

lesledhead

The key word here is "road." Reminds of when guys complain about plowing the road edges clean and leaving no snow. Jobs and safety come first. I like the seasonals too, but what you encountered is a fair reality.

renegade

It may be the case, that without utility companies and logging, those roads might not be there. Just a thought.

snobuilder

The sad reality is that a compacted 2-3" would be very usable for all concerned but will never be considered because droppin the plow to the ground is easier.

chevytaHOE5674

The sad reality is that a compacted 2-3" would be very usable for all concerned but will never be considered because droppin the plow to the ground is easier.

Compacted 2-3 inches is Great as long as its cold and stays cold. If it gets warm (like this week) then it turns into a mess as soon as you drive heavy things on it. And when you are trying to make a living, spending extra time trying to "off-road" to work or getting stuck is money out of your pocket.

whitedust

Now how did that road come to be in the 1st place & who maintains it & who pays land tax? Whoever that is gets 1st use & if private land you better ask before you ever take your sled down a road. Do a little homework that is what I do before my skis go down any road.

sixball

I am talking about county seasonal roads not logging. No not privet or well roads. The roads I am talking about are not used for homes, Its gas well use not willing to use roads that are plowed to get from one place to the next. And yes I know it would cost time and money to go around. I also think it would be very easy to leave a thin snow cover on the roads or plow to one side not down the middle. I also know it will never happen! just would love to see it.

whitedust

As I understand MI laws unless marked trail you can only ride unplowed FRs if it is plowed hit the ditch. I talked to both WI & MI DNR about this since on border of both states & lots of confusion of what is plowed & unplowed. Of course no go at all in Wilderness areas no matter how inviting it appears.

chevytaHOE5674

I am talking about county seasonal roads not logging. No not privet or well roads. The roads I am talking about are not used for homes, Its gas well use not willing to use roads that are plowed to get from one place to the next. And yes I know it would cost time and money to go around. I also think it would be very easy to leave a thin snow cover on the roads or plow to one side not down the middle. I also know it will never happen! just would love to see it.

If you were trying to make your living out on the woods (be it oil wells, logging, etc) you would know how much time is spent traveling, so saving a couple of minutes here and there is HUGE. Sometimes plowing 1 mile of "bush" road can save me 10 miles or more getting from place to place. Plowing to one side is great until the snowbanks freeze up into solid blocks of ice then you run out of room to put snow, then by spring the road is barely/not even a truck width wide.

Maybe your work should leave the sidewalks and parking lots snow covered so that the kids have someplace to play....

sixball

Yeper!!! I lived in northern Canada and the rodes were never taken down to pavement or dirt once the snow started and we got through winters without a problem. I also have spent my life in jobs and one thing we always learned is its not only our business you need to pay attention to. A good business will often look at how to work with a community. As in life if we work together in the end it can be better for all.

anonomoose

.....A good business will often look at how to work with a community. As in life if we work together in the end it can be better for all.

Boy, now there is a novel idea. Imagine both being able to use the road?

I know in Big Bay the gas station purposely leaves snow down all around the covered gas docks. Folks drive on it with their cars and snowmobiles can cruise up and not grind carbides. It makes all sorts of sense because the snowmobile business brings other business and the whole community stays alive all snow season long.

It is entirely possible to satisfy both as long as BOTH want it that way. Once one or the other decide that they don't want to share...somebody loses out. Once a road is ground down to bare dirt, it says a bunch about the sharing thing.

I agree with the OP. I have ridden that area a few times and those small well trails are great but I heard the downed trees were so bad that I avoided the area completely this year... Oh well we can only rant and hope one day everything goes our way lol

timo

anonomoose you can't relate the two.

One is a paying customer the business is providing a conveinece for and the other isn't. I get where you're coming from but not a correct correlation.

Boy, now there is a novel idea. Imagine both being able to use the road?

I know in Big Bay the gas station purposely leaves snow down all around the covered gas docks. Folks drive on it with their cars and snowmobiles can cruise up and not grind carbides. It makes all sorts of sense because the snowmobile business brings other business and the whole community stays alive all snow season long.

It is entirely possible to satisfy both as long as BOTH want it that way. Once one or the other decide that they don't want to share...somebody loses out. Once a road is ground down to bare dirt, it says a bunch about the sharing thing.

Last edited:

anonomoose

anonomoose you can't relate the two.

One is a paying customer the business is providing a conveinece for and the other isn't. I get where you're coming from but not a correct correlation.

Wait a minute! Just because the gas companies paid good money to explore with purchased mineral rights does NOT mean the road they are plowing is OWNED by them. They can access their spots but this should not be exclusive. While they have a right to access the gas wells, it does not mean that they can't share the road with snowmobiles, skiers, atv and all the owners of that property...the public. Just because the gas companies contract to have the road plowed does not mean that they can't share that road with winter time enthusiasts.

timo

Doesn't mean they have any obligation to leave snow on the road either. Comparing a gas station that leaves a few inches of hard packed snow in it's parking lot for snowmobile traffic vs comparing a gas company that plows a forest road, (mind you not a legally marked snowmobile trail) is comparing apples to oranges.

The way I see it if they paid to have access to the road and the land owner doesn't specify to leave snow on the road for snowmobiles they can plow it down to mud if it's their perogative. They paid for the road or access to their well using the road not the snowmobiler.

Wait a minute! Just because the gas companies paid good money to explore with purchased mineral rights does NOT mean the road they are plowing is OWNED by them. They can access their spots but this should not be exclusive. While they have a right to access the gas wells, it does not mean that they can't share the road with snowmobiles, skiers, atv and all the owners of that property...the public. Just because the gas companies contract to have the road plowed does not mean that they can't share that road with winter time enthusiasts.