selling items

chibears

Anyone have a suggestion on the best way to get paid when selling items on JD?

i know with ebay...i use Paypal......

anyones two cents would be appreciated.

thanks

miaferominka

I have taken Paypal and personal checks I just wated for the checks to clear before sending the item. JD folks seem to be pretty honest compaired to most.

lewisb13

Paypal works the best as others have stated. Im assuming you dont understand how paypal works when you dont have the convenience of ebay basically sending the invoice to paypal for you (the whole checkout procedure thing). You can do it one of 2 ways using paypal. So lets say someone needs to pay you...

1. You can send a request for money. Meaning you are selling them something and you would like to send them a bill/reminder to pay, you just send a "request for money/funds" and that person can just hit "pay" or whatever.

2. The person who is trying to pay you, can just go ahead and pay you. For example, if your paypal account handle is johndoe@northwoods.com, I could go and just blindly send money to johndoe@northwoods.com.

Either way, you have an electronic copy of the transaction. If you use feature number 1 from above, it leaves some open fields where you can describe what you are asking for funds for. Kind of like a receipt.

micelist

we took personal checks and cash for items we sold.. if a person has been on here a while I kinda trust them to be legit.

bouncer

Be advised,
When using paypal as a payment method for goods sold
paypal will charge you a percentage of the total sale.

The only way around this is to have the other party
send your money personal.

I believe they take 2.6 or 2.9 percent off the top.

Skylar

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've used paypal. I just bought 2 complete sets of RSI ice scratchers, along with a set of spare springs, no mounts, for 60 bucks off a guy on Dootalk. He shipped them today, and told me a personel check is fine. Wow, haven't done that in awhile. LOL. I almost forgt how to write out a check!

polarisrider1

Be advised,
When using paypal as a payment method for goods sold
paypal will charge you a percentage of the total sale.

The only way around this is to have the other party
send your money personal.

I believe they take 2.6 or 2.9 percent off the top.

Paypal hits me for 1.8%. big deal. Credit Cards (I even have a machine) charges me 4.9% if I swipe card and 10-12% if I punch in the numbers from a phone in order. Cash is still KING!

When selling a big ticket item like a sled, I have done $250 or $500 down via Paypal and then balance with cash or money order upon pick-up. Otherwise if you do a $4000 or so sale only with Paypal, they'll keep a good amount of it. I sold a hemet for $108 recently and the guy paid me with Paypal and Paypal kept $4.51 of it. I would hate to see what they'd keep on a $5000 sale.

fireman35

i wouldnt let anyone make big payments to you on paypal, or charge a premium for the use have the buyer cover half the cost of paypals fee, Just my 2 cents