Sensor placement

dab102999

John I have a question for you. My kids got me one of those total weather package centers for fathers day. (wind, rainfall, temp and a few other things I can't figure out). My question is the placement of the temp sensor. It doesn't state anywhere in the manual if it should be placed in full exposer to the sun or in the shade. I was wondering your idea on where I should put it.

Thanks

frnash

Here's some applicable info from Ambient Weather.com:
Click → Weather Station Installation Guide
See the PDF document at link in the first paragraph, <blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

"We recommend you read the following guide from Campbell Scientific titled Weather Station Siting and Installation Tools (pdf file)."<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>There's some good info there!

dab102999

Thanks frnash, and I didn't get a spell check either. Some great reading there. But unfortunately I don't have the space to do it properatly. Also I am limited by the range of my sensor so I am still at the dilema of do I mount the temp sensor in the shade or in direct sunlight. (bet I get a spell check now!! ha ha!!

A

admin

dab102999-

If the temp sensor came with it's own radiation shield (plastic housing to shade the sensor), then you should mount it in the sun, but away from objects like a house or asphalt driveway that could throw off heat.

If it did not come with the sensor shield, then mount the sensor in the shade, but again, away from anything that could give off heat and give you a false reading.

-John

dab102999

Thanks both of you. I was kinda thinking in the sun but then thought about all those wheater station "boxs" I have seen and then thought well maybe it should be in the shade. It does have a shield so I will put it out in the most open spot I have. Again, thanks.