Should we be worried?

jd

Administrator
Staff member
Looking like an El Nino may be something in place this winter. Strength and impacts still up for grabs though, so I would not lose any sleep over it at this point.

-John

Bullitt69

You know, it doesn't always equate to less snow in the Yoop either.

If you look at the correlation between some El Nino winters and season snowfall, e.g.

https://www.weather.gov/mqt/seasonsnowfallmaps

http://ggweather.com/enso/oni.htm

In many cases it did NOT equate to less snow.

For example:

Weak El Nino Years: 2004-2005; 2006-2007; 2014-2015 ----- These appear to all be good snow years

Moderate El Nino Years: 2002-2003 - This actually appears to be above average for snow - BUT on the other hand 2009-2010 was below

Very Strong El Nino Year: Check out 2015-2016, I don't remember that year being a total loss, there WERE periods for snow play, but I do remember the warm spells

Nah, I won't lose any sleep. When I see these articles I tend to freak somewhat - I was in Big Bay the winter of 1997-1998 (very strong El Nino) and remember it being a bummer.

We'll all be counting on you this year even more if one develops!

Thanks John

jd

Administrator
Staff member
Good analysis.

It's always a bit of a crap shoot as to what you are going to have on a seasonal scale. My motto has always been make the most of what happens!

-John

garageguy

Concerned yes, worried no. Its going to snow someplace may melt in between just got to get out there and injoy it while you can...Just like life.

dboe03

Concerned yes, worried no. Its going to snow someplace may melt in between just got to get out there and injoy it while you can...Just like life.

Well said. Can't remember last time the Fargo, ND area had a decent snow year. Haven't rode around here in YEARS. I've been chasing snow and always have vacation time ready to to go. My motto is "Sled is ready, truck is ready, just tell me where!"

sweeperguy

Our motto for quite some time now; Have sleds, we'll travel!!!

YEAH
For sure.
With a sport such as this you've got to take the good or bad.
Can't worry about what will come, but do the best you can with what you get.
I'm fortunate to be able to chase snow. But I pay for it with terribly long hours in the summer.