Signs of the Apocalypse

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
FARGO, N.D. (KVLY) -- You've may have heard someone say "adulting."

The term is now a verb in the dictionary, and it means to behave like an adult. But it may surprise you how many ‘grown-ups’ don't know how to do basic adult things.

Scrolling through Twitter it’s not uncommon to see #Adulting, things like “I don't want to adult today,” or “adulting is hard.” It's a common way of complaining about grown-up things like laundry, having a job, making a dentist appointment or buying a car.

While a lot of people mean it to be funny, there's also a serious tone. Recent surveys find that some millennials don't know how to change a light bulb, others don't know how credit cards work and some can't even boil an egg.

Rachel Blumhardt, a therapist with The Village Family Service Center in Fargo, North Dakota says the generations growing up with a lot of technology aren't learning certain life skills.

"You’re lost because you haven't had to know how to do those things,” she said.

She says it is important for parents to allow their children to do things on their own.

"Oftentimes, we just assume they will know how to do those things, or as parents sometimes we forget that an important role we have is helping our children to become independent," Blumhardt explained.

She says that's true for other generations, too. Millennials are not the only ones having a hard time adulting.

"It has always been there, now we just have a word for it," she said.

The good news for those about to go to college is that many campuses across the nation, including the University of North Dakota, are offering adulting classes. They are focusing on teaching things like cooking, taxes, leaving voicemails and wearing pants. You can even earn two credits for it.:rolleyes3:

racerx

Heard this on the radio this week and to be honest it does not surprise me. Been seeing that in the younger people we have been hiring. It is hard for them to think for themselves, they come to work and just can't stay away from their phones for minute and they expect the same pay as others that been doing the job for decades. I realize they may have it harder in these days but where the heck is the parenting that teach these people respect and the value of hard work or is it as a society the parents are at losing end of the battle to raise them properly.

Everyone believes we need to bring manufacturing back to the U.S. and I'm one of them as I always believed for an economy to grow we need to produce but if you don't have people to produce or do it at a fair wage it will continue to leave due to no workers or we price ourselves out.

Sorry for the soapbox, it is that I'm really concerned for our future when it comes to these type of subjects.

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
Milennial: Ya, so I'm wondering how this Pants thing works...does the zipper go on the front or the back? And do I put one foot in or jump in with both feet?

Boomer: Are you kidding me...?

Greatest Generation: And then we won the war and went to the moon in less than 25 years.

I think I see where this is going?

T

Tracker

I know some old dudes that don't know how to do stuff on the interwebs that they have been using for 30 years now...I certainly hope the aren't worthless either....DOH

"Millennials are not the only ones having a hard time adulating"

G

G

One of the biggest areas of growth in the grocery industry is frozen foods. This is because very few people that have graduated from high school in the last ten years know how to cook anything. They would perish without their microwave ovens. And pizza. Really crappy eating habits learned at a young age. It is no mystery to me that we have such high rates of obesity for people so young.

C

Cirrus_Driver

Yeah Grub, I have to agree. My 20 yo kid eats cereal or McDonalds and pizza. Goes out to eat all the time, whereas when I was his age I made lunches (sandwiches) for work to save $$'s.
We make dinners and he doesn't want it - rather eat fast food. He's moving out next week, so he'll learn the hard way. Weird generation.

old abe

I think we have been watching this transformation of our intelligence forever. Both forwards, and backwards. It has been at a such a slow pace that it is hard to recognize as it has been happening. How ever, with the tech of today, the speed has increased to the point that it is easier to recognize. For better, or worse.