ski doo renegade pre season maintance

polaris62

Starting to get the itch for the upcoming season. Bought a new renegade 1200 last year and love it. As a new rider of ski doo can anyone give me any suggestions about certain things to look for I know any machine is prone to little things that can happen such as watch out for this wire rubbing on the frame or other little quirks. Any feedback would be appreciated thanks.

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well, for starters you're going to have to change your name on John Dee to something like "doo62" or something. :) Seriously, the Renegade chassis built around the 1200 is an excellent choice in my humble opinion. Assuming you changed the oil and filter at the end of the season, just reinstall the battery and you're ready to go for this year. There's only 2 or 3 fittings on the skid and I grease those in the spring to force any moisture out.

As for quirks or watch-outs, I can't think of one to share. This truly has been a trouble-free machine for me and mine is one of the older ones which I bought as a left-over. I do have a bad habit of backing over the Snow flap when unloading so I'll need to replace that this year but really it's been just gas and go for the last couple of years.

Good luck with yours and welcome to the Doo family.

L

lenny

My buddy has that exact machine and it is an excellent machine. Just regular maintained but if there is something he can think of I will relay the message.

Go Fast or Go Home

I have four 1200x Ski-Doo Renegades. The post above this sums it all up. My 1200s have been trouble free.

You may want to go to Doo-Talk.com and sign up on that site. Tons of good info on all Ski-Doo models. Lots of very knowledgeable people on that site and all are willing to help answer questions you may have.

polaris62

Yes time for a name change. Like I said absolutely love the sled my only regret is not doing it sooner. Had the dealer do the oil change. Didn't want any problems in case of a warranty issue. I rented a ski doo renegade when my sled let me down and knew then my next sled would be a ski doo. I was tired of the ticking bombs and heard nothing but good about the the 1200. Best decision I've ever made. Thanks for the feedback.

momoney2123

Yes time for a name change. Like I said absolutely love the sled my only regret is not doing it sooner. Had the dealer do the oil change. Didn't want any problems in case of a warranty issue. I rented a ski doo renegade when my sled let me down and knew then my next sled would be a ski doo. I was tired of the ticking bombs and heard nothing but good about the the 1200. Best decision I've ever made. Thanks for the feedback.

As mentioned i would venture to dootalk and post this question. Or just doo a google dootalk search as im sure this question has been asked before. Besides changing engine and chaincase oil, i kno it would be worth servicing the primary e-drive clutch. How many miles did you put on last year? I personally tear both my clutches apart after every trip, but its more of a performance reason. Pending on miles the secondary spring could be getting weak if you want peak performance as well. Something to ask on dootalk as i have never owned a 1200. There is a wealth of knowledge in the 1200 forum.