Skidoo 1200 losing electrical power on the trail

polaris62

Just came back from a trip early unfortunately. Five miles down the trail sled dies like you hit the kill switch. Fires right back up but in twenty miles dies five more times. Each time fires right back up but decided time to head to the trailer. Get it checked out they say faulty stator and regulator. I know enough that this makes sense somewhat but couple days to get parts so head home. So bring it to my dealer here at home tell them what happened and what they found. They check it over and said stator checks good regulator checks good. The only problem they found was a loose connection on the positive terminal on the battery. Seems strange but I trust my deal5but still just doesn't seem right. He did say with the sled running if you disconnect the cable the sled would immediately die. So this is where I'm wondering or doubting shouldn't the stator keep the motor running without the battery. I know sleds have changed and old school doesn't always apply. So any feedback would be appreciated thanks.

Forcontom

Same thing happened to my 600 last weekend. It ended up being a bad fuse. Check them very carefully. My bad fuse only had a small burn mark on it, it was not totally blown.

polaris62

Thanks I will have them check it out. I've also heard there are issues with the relays so thinking I'll have those checked as well.

momoney2123

Thanks I will have them check it out. I've also heard there are issues with the relays so thinking I'll have those checked as well.

A thread came up on dootalk about this not long ago. Every scenerio was either a relay or ground wire being lose around battery terminal.

towtruck

I have an 05 600 gade SDI- similar problems -only failed at high speeds- dealer said he could not fix it because he could not get it to fail in the shop- went on for two years- very frustrating - turned out to be faulty wiring at or very near the battery- my friend figured it out when he borrowed it for a trip-
guess it does pay to borrow stuff out! has been good for over 4 years now

heckler56

A thread came up on dootalk about this not long ago. Every scenerio was either a relay or ground wire being lose around battery terminal.
X2. Check the ground wire by the battery, if it is good then go for the two relays (I carry a spare of each on my sled)

2tonheavy

GSX 1200 2014 model had same problem ..... It was the plug under the DESS (key). The dealer pulled the console and made a better connection and used a wire tie so we would not have that problem again. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

longtrack

If its a earlier year 1200 you should replace both Relays. they are in the Fuse Box. I carry spares in my 2012. The newer ones have different Relays and I have not had Problems with them yet. I agree with the Posts above.

Electrical problems can be hard to figure out.

If it would be a Stator and I do not think it is. the Motor has to come out and you should also replace the Regulator. It seems bad Stators happen more if you overheat the Motor. I had one go on a 2009 and it did not have a Radiator. That Bill would be around $1300.

Last edited:

polaris62

Well after another trip it was indeed just a loose battery connection. It's pretty embarrassing as I'm not mechanically inept. Service guy says not the first time he's seen it and they must use a phillips screwdriver at the factory to tighten the connection but a 10 millimeter wrench fits the bolt head. So yes they have to have a battery connection to keep running and if anyone has a similar problem that's definitely worth checking first