Skidoo battery

tritonmark

how many years does the average battery last on the sdi motors? Decides not starting what other signs might signal a bad battery?

russholio

The "experts" say if you get 3-4 years you're doing well. I replaced mine after 4 years because it supposedly failed a load test -- even though it seemed to be powering the sled just fine. But, I didn't want to find out the hard way on a trip somewhere, so I bit the bullet.

If you do replace it, I would stick with a direct replacement (Yuasa). It will cost you more, but my experience with knock-offs is that they don't last as long (and in one case, only a year). You get what you pay for. As an added bonus, as far as I know Yuasa is still made here in the States.

marty__kms

If you leave your battery sit over the summer months with no use or maintenance, maybe two years, if you maintain your battery properly about 5 years.

Ditto on the Yuasa, save now pay later.

mjkaliszak

I have had good luck with the AGM (absorbed glass mat ) batteries. I have 2 with 2 years +. These are in the jetski's ( extreme enviroment ) and 1 going into a Cat. They run about $90-$100 with tax . There not cheap . They seem to hold up well to the vibration.

pauly

I might also recommend Odyssey batteries. (AGM)
Plus's: Are made very well.. Brass connections (not lead)
Very Low internal resistance, can be drained dead many times and recover to full strength.
99.9% pure lead used (decreases sulfation) Can be shipped (buy online), and great storage longevity.

Minus's: Costly, don't have a lot of form factors - tough to find one that is drop in place.

I bought a PCM545MJ... I actually got it for same price as OEM replacement online. ($85 shipped to my door)
I have a 06 T660 4 Stroke.. and had no problems starting it on -20 mornings (and there were many for me last year)
It is about 2-3 lbs lighter and smaller than my OEM. I had to stack up some 1/4 thick rubber pads, beneath and on the side to make it fit in my tray.
They claim it is charged above 12.5 Volts.. you can store it for 2 years without touching it....

So far I love it.. although it is only one year old.
worth checking out..
http://www.odysseybatteries.com/battery/pc545series.htm

When you find the battery you need, type the model into google.. you may get a decent price on one.

chords

The only other sign would be major leakage and a real mess. You cant just look and see a bad one.

I have been nursing batteries indoors, alternating them on a "floating charge" for 2 years. One a Marine Deep Cycle and two small 12 Volts. I've kept the levels up, but really wonder? if these will be reliable after 3 years for usage again in 2010. <center>
118423.jpg
</center>

B

babbaboo

I have a 2004 and still using the OEM battery. Dealer just checked it out and supposedly is good. I probably just jinxed myself.

lotoftoys

I purchased an after market last year. We did some off trail and it destroyed the battery. Cheap and would not handle the abuse; though half the price. Save yourself a headache a go OEM.With proper maint. should last three or four years.

frnash

Come to think of it , maybe those AGM (absorbed glass mat) batteries are a good idea for extremely aggressive off-trail riding. (No acid spills &#0151; They're certified for inverted aerobatic maneuvers!
happy.gif
)

pauly

I know the odyssey batteries meet military standards and are used in the military. (Seen one at a Military base myself)