Slp setup

Firecatguy

John,
I got my slp setup and just wondering what you did for clutching here and out west did you stay with the stock recommendations?

helix?
spring?
weights?

A

admin

Hi Rusty.

I only changed the weights per the instructions from the gurus at SLP. No changes to the helix or spring. I ran the SLP MTX weights, 71's with a one gram weight in the tip out in Togwotee and 77's with one gram weight in the tip for the UP.

Not sure if you did reeds and hi-flow air intake too, but those will wake up the low end again. Pipes can tend to rob some snap from the low end and the reeds and air intake will give it back.

If you do all this, be sure to hang on when you crack the throttle! It's an unbelievable difference.

-John

cuzzinolaf

John - Isn't there something else with the clutching that needs to be changed to run the MTX weights? What RPM's did you see in Tog and the UP?

Also, how did it run without the BD Box? Skylar said it was great but I hear so much about bogging or lean conditions.

I want the SLP pipe kit for my M8 but have been scared to pull the trigger. I have the intake already and haven't installed it. Do you think I could get away with just that or would I need the reeds as well?

Any other thoughts?

Firecatguy

thanks John

I also heard with the high flow you are getting close to a lean situation? did you go with a fuel controller?
who reeds did you go with?reeds or reed spacers?

cuz
I could not see my tac when it counted most so this year I'm going with this so I can keep a real good eye on it..
113893.jpg

http://www.aftermarketproducts.com/catalog.php?mach_type=S#AMP-9006

S

skylar

Cuzz, you are right, I think John had to add a shim to the spider?

I am sure once he gets done burping baby Grace he will respond.
happy.gif

A

admin

Cuzz, Skylar is right. I did have to add a shim to the primary. I forget the size, but if you call up SLP, they will tell you. I did not do it myself as you need a special tool and some real know how, so I had the good folks at M & M take care of it for me.

My RPM's both in the UP an Tog were around 7800-8000, pretty much dialed in perfectly. The sled really ran and climbed as good as any out there.

It did not have a bog, but would be a little "throaty" if you know what I mean. Sort of like a bark at the low end, but not a RPM bog. I am thinking about adding a controller this season, but will go with the Power Commander rather than the Boondockers as it is a lot more programmable and the techs at SLP swear by it.

I would say if you are looking for mid range and high end power only and are not concerned about losing some low end snap, then the exhaust kit would be all you need. If you want the whole package (low end rip, plus mid and high end power, then you will need to do it all. I was on an 09 M8 that had the pipe only and it was a pooch at the low end, but had real rip in the mid and high end. The owner put in different gearing and that helped a bit, but still could not run with mine.

Rusty-

I did not have any issues with a lean condition, but I think the reeds help out in that department. I went with the V Force 3's. A warning, if you plan to use the V Force 3's and have any intention of returning everything to stock, you do need to do some cutting to the rubber intake boots and they will no longer work with the stock reeds. Probably not too expensive to replace, but thought I would toss that out there.

Think that about covers it, back to burping!

-John

Firecatguy

John,
hey I forgot to ask slp when I orderd my set up!! what gas do you run with you set up?87?91?

you have xtra venting for under hood heat? does the xtra venting with the new air flow make any problems?

A

admin

Rusty.

You have to run the 91 with the exhaust kit in there.

I don't have any extra venting in the hood yet. Thinking of putting the side vents in though.

-John