Smart phone

jakerides

John, I'm looking at a new Smart phone that is 3G so that I can get internet. I used youe site to test this phone and was unable to click the forecast text or graphic in order to view. Is this common or do I need to do something different?
Thanks for your help

cuzzinolaf

You need to do a Google search for the exact thing you want. i.e., search JohnDee Forecast Text and then bookmark it.

m8man

cuzz,

I have AT&T and have great service here..I'm even contemplating cancelling my land line..I'm currently researching phones and I think, think I may, get an iphone..I will agree they don't work all over but I should be able to run with it most places, and plus buy a ton of apps that have no use up here as well..

m8man

cuzzinolaf

cuzz,

I have AT&T and have great service here..I'm even contemplating cancelling my land line..I'm currently researching phones and I think, think I may, get an iphone..I will agree they don't work all over but I should be able to run with it most places, and plus buy a ton of apps that have no use up here as well..

m8man

How does the internet service on the iPhone work there? I've been told something completely different and have seen poor cell service down south of Twin for myself.

zrjes

Last three year the only phones that get service at our house in the Keweenaw are ones on AT&T Service. No 3G service, but surfing the web is completely possible on 2G or lower. My mom uses her iphone a lot and used it all weekend while visiting...surfing web, etc... No problems

I have Verizon and do fine in Houghton, Calumet, Hancock, etc... but North of Calumet it is really hit or miss, more on the miss side.

Now, since Verizon bought All-Tel wireless I am hoping the Verizon coverage will get better in the keweenaw...We'll see

Stack

5_spot

Verizon bought Alltel, but as part of the deal had to sell a portion for federal approval. At&t bought that portion, 2.35 Billion worth. This amounts to 1.5 million subscribers in 18 states, mostly rural areas. Should be complete early this year.

CatsOnly

I was up in south range watching the football game earlier this year at a bar there, i got service using my app. but it was not instantly, but i was able to use it

jakerides

Thanks for all the replys. Because my phone is a work phone I must use a blackberry from Cellcom. I have great phone and email service all over the country but I'm upgrading in order to have internet service. Cellcome also uses Alltel and Verizon towers where they don't have towers. I'm looking at the Curve and hope to use one next weekend at my cabin. (Crandon,Wi area) also the upgrade to a Curve is free so that plays into it.

mvedepo

Jake,

When you get internet on your blackberry download the Bolt browser. Its the best all around browser for the blackberrys.

powderburner

Thanks for all the replys. Because my phone is a work phone I must use a blackberry from Cellcom. I have great phone and email service all over the country but I'm upgrading in order to have internet service. Cellcome also uses Alltel and Verizon towers where they don't have towers. I'm looking at the Curve and hope to use one next weekend at my cabin. (Crandon,Wi area) also the upgrade to a Curve is free so that plays into it.

I'm on Sprint who also roams Alltel in the UP. Alltel is 3G up there (at least everywhere I've been) so as long as you get service (and Cellcom allows 3G data roaming) your internet speeds will be much, much faster than ATT.

I'm kind of stumped why people who don't live in a 3g ATT area fork out the big bucks for an Iphone and then suffer with slow internet speeds. Seems kind of self-defeating to have a smartphone with slow internet.

mvedepo

I'm on Sprint who also roams Alltel in the UP. Alltel is 3G up there (at least everywhere I've been) so as long as you get service (and Cellcom allows 3G data roaming) your internet speeds will be much, much faster than ATT.

I'm kind of stumped why people who don't live in a 3g ATT area fork out the big bucks for an Iphone and then suffer with slow internet speeds. Seems kind of self-defeating to have a smartphone with slow internet.

iPhones are not really big bucks as far as Smartphones are concerned. You can get an iPhone for $99 - $199. My Bold was $299 with rebates and $600 without. This allows you to buy an iPhone whether you are eligible for upgrade or not.

zaskar

fork out the big bucks for an Iphone and then suffer with slow internet speeds.

I bought the iPhone so I could use it as a mirror to see when I have boogers in my nose not for i-net surfing.