Snocross Helmets

robinson

Hey guys,

Gonna buy a new helmet this year either thinking about a Fly or Klim F4. Just curious to see what you guys have for set ups, and maybe what kinda goggles have been working out for you also. I have a pair of Scotts and Spy as well.

Thanks!

Troutlaketerror

Last year ridin around newberry we stopped to get gas at picklemens perf and there was a guy with one of the klim helmets and he was buying a dif helmet because he said it was the coldest dang thing he ever bought... ive always had thor helmets and scott goggles but i need different goggles because mine are to worn out now.....

edge600

3 years ago I switched over to the motocross style helmet and I still believe it was a great idea. The vision and being able to just take the goggles off quickly is a big help in the backcountry. I have an HJC helmet with a set of 509 goggles and a set of Scott X89 goggles with the lens that changes from blue to clear during the day and night.

pirate

you are going to get a lot of reply's on this one

but i bought a klim f4 for last year and unless it was 30 deg out or i was doing some boony or off trail riding i frooze my head off.. it's a great , light helmet , but i think it's designed more for out west. where they generally have warmer weather and your working hard in the mountain's.. i ride with a motor cross style helmet down to about 15 deg and anything colder i usually go with the full face.. both are hjc's.. or if i'm heading out for long day and night i alway's go with the full face.. but i do usually carry a couple of differant thickness head mask's.. when it gets 0 or below i alway's carry some electrical tape to cover vent's and some time's on my face at certain point's to keep off the frost bite .. i tend to ride with my shield open 1 click so i get a bit of fresh air all the time..and the elec tape doesn't leave a sticky mess on the helmet or my skin...
Pirate

polarisrider1

The Klim F4 helmet will be cold for trail riding, it was designed for off trail as are most moto cross style helmets. Gear has become user specific. I wear a BRP Mod.2 for trails and an FR1 for off trail. The Fly makes a sweet helmet and sled soulutions may have the deal for you. (color and jug size permitting)

jr37

I wear a HJC with Scott goggles. Make sure you get the peice to keep the wind off of your nose for the really cold days, no matter which helmet you decide on.

Bradzoo

I use a BRP Mod for cold trail riding (very little any more has to be real cold) , and a Fly Lite with 509 Sinister goggles for everything else.

twodeere

You guys with the cold Klim helmets, did you have the windstopper liner installed ? I just bought a Klim helmet this year at the Milwaukee snow show and now worried it will be a cold ride.

sleddindoo09

I bought an F4 and 509's recently and will be testing them out on the trail up in the yoop later tonight and throughout the weekend. Windstopper liner is installed and I also picked up a good Klim (covert) balaclava-also windstopper. I rode all last season with a BRP Mod-2. I'll let you know how it works out.

big_motor_guy

i've had the f4, and even with the windstopper it is a very cold helmet, again unless your going 15 MPH through the woods. At any trail speed you will feel the wind, I don't care that it's called windstopper, it doesn't work that well. I've now got a 509 with 509 sinister goggles. Hands down the best setup I've had. I've probably used 5 different motox style helmets over the years and the 509 is the only one I've used that doesn't give me that cold spot on the forehead where the corner of the goggle meets the helmet. 509 helmet is also under 200 (more for the goggles) but it is a great set up, thats all I can say. Coldest riding day with 509 helmet was -15 and it was fine, got a little cold on the lake runs but just ducked behind my 3" windshield.

shoelessjoe

I have an HJC helmet with a set of 509 goggles

I also have the HJC and 509 combo. I also have the breath box for my HJC an that makes a world of difference. Took a little time to get the breathbox right where I wanted it and where it worked best but the set up now rocks.

Last year I bought a new set of 509 Sinisters and they came with the nose guard so now I'll have to try the nose guard with and without the breath box and see what I like.

robinson

Thanks for all the replies! I do have an HJC vapor helmet but its just too small now, so it sounds like maybe stay away from the F4 then. I appreciate all the input.