snow bands just off shore of keweenaw

jd

Administrator
Staff member
Nice picture.

We did have the southern band sit over us for about an hour Tuesday afternoon. Came down pretty good for that time period.

In that shot, if you look where the two bands seem to converge in the NE portion of the big lake, you will also see a comma head structure in the clouds. That is called a meso-low. It's an area of rotating winds around a small area of low pressure. That is where it is really coming down. You can even pick out the sharpness to the tops of the cumulus clouds in the meso low, indicative that there was a lot of lift going on there.

-John

bobt

Exactly what I thought,,,,,NOT!

QUOTE=Administrator;309044]Nice picture.

We did have the southern band sit over us for about an hour Tuesday afternoon. Came down pretty good for that time period.

In that shot, if you look where the two bands seem to converge in the NE portion of the big lake, you will also see a comma head structure in the clouds. That is called a meso-low. It's an area of rotating winds around a small area of low pressure. That is where it is really coming down. You can even pick out the sharpness to the tops of the cumulus clouds in the meso low, indicative that there was a lot of lift going on there.

-John[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

mjkaliszak

That is a pretty unique view. I will admit, I was using to to see where the snow is ending up. Also impressive is how wide the big lake actually is.