Snow Belts

Willh

Hi, I keep seeing lines in forecasts (the below is an NWS discussion) that say things like:

which will be sufficient for lake effect
precip in NW shifting to W wind snowbelts tonight.

I'm just wondering if theres an illustration or list somewhere of which areas apply to which winds.

Thanks!

josh_4184

I live in NW Michigan near gaylord NWS APX and their website has some good data for my area and Eastern UP. Marquette takes over from their on west. This link shows how the wind direction and how it correlates to the where the LES will be concentrated the most. Not sure if NWS MRQ has anything similar. John may have better information for Western UP LES.

http://www.weather.gov/apx/les

nw_flow.gif

jd

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry it took so long for me to respond, but I thought I had made a map that showed the LES distribution with differing wind directions, but I cannot find it. I made it for a presentation at MI Tech I gave, but cannot find any of the material from that speech. I do know the NWS-Marquette also did a nice map showing where the LES falls with differing wind direction, but have not been able to find it. You might want to go to the NWS site or facebook page and see if you can find it.

-John