Snow Blower Engine Needed

mezz

I gave my daughter & son in-law my snow blower as they really needed it. It is an Ariens with an 8hp motor, Last December my son in-law went to fire it up, it apparently spit & sputtered for a bit, ran for a short period & eventually quit, discovered the block cracked. In all my years, never saw anything like that happen! Crappy gas perhaps, I don't know, nonetheless, I need to find a good motor, anybody out there have any suggestions? I really don't want to scrap this, it is in good shape other than the motor, no missing paint, no rust, & tires are like new. Any direction would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.-Mezz

snowman72

You will need to check the PTO shaft size and length to find a comparable replacement. There are shaft sleeves to make them bigger if you find a replacement with a smaller diameter PTO shaft than what is needed. I just put a different motor on a Craftsman snowblower I picked up for cheap but motor was seized. That had a 7/8" shaft and my replacement had a 3/4" shaft. Bought a sleeve off Ebay for $10 to make the pulley assembly fit.

Saw this on Ebay when I was looking at replacement motors. Just don't run a paper air filter in the winter if you go with a non-"winter" motor, it can ice up.

https://www.ebay.com/p/13027048676?...VJVUrky7Cm6kkwFNqiTPm-C7cz-MuakoaAhB7EALw_wcB

mezz

snowman, thank you for the advice & the info, very valuable. I had to chuckle about the paper air filter in the winter & non-winter motor. I've lived in The Great White North for quite some time, that's not happening LOL! Thank you again. -Mezz

euphoric1

mezz, most ariens 8 hp engines had a 1" crankshaft, finding a double pulley like the one ariens uses that will fit anything but will prove difficult and be careful buying a will fit engine with an odd ball crank size or something much smaller in size because finding a reduction sleeve may also prove difficult because remember you will still have to have a keyway to engage the crank and the pulley. What color is the engine? White or black/brown? I can look to see, I may have something here or even a good used shortblock

snowman, thank you for the advice & the info, very valuable. I had to chuckle about the paper air filter in the winter & non-winter motor. I've lived in The Great White North for quite some time, that's not happening LOL! Thank you again. -Mezz

mezz

euphoric, the motor is Black, it is a Tecumseh 8 horse. I had a handle on an 11 HP motor, but found the block too big to mount, so, we are still looking for a replacement motor. I am too apprehensive on a new motor from anywhere, we are hoping to find a good used one to drop in place. Thank you for your input, greatly appreciated. Let me know if you have something or direction to one. Thanks again -Mezz

Last edited:

euphoric1

euphoric, the motor is Black, it is a Tecumseh 8 horse. I had a handle on an 11 HP motor, but found the block too big to mount, so, we are still looking for a replacement motor. I am too apprehensive on a new motor from anywhere, we are hoping to find a good used one to drop in place. Thank you for your input, greatly appreciated. Let me know if you have something or direction to one. Thanks again -Mezz

mezz, I do have an 8hp Tecumseh sitting on an ariens chassis probably mid to late 80's would be the HM series engine, have a cast iron cylinder liner, not sure how old yours is but I do have a good motor probably need carb cleaned or transfer yours to this one if yours was running, not sure how soon you would need, I come up there in mid feb, if you are interested as it sits I would just give it to you, has been sitting for about 2 seasons but was good motor.

mrbb

well I am late to see this tread, and NOT sure if shipping would be a deal breaker
BUT, my Brother in law, dropped power washer off his deck(2 ft high)
so not a big drop, but did crack the fuel cap, and air filter cover popped off and he never looked for it! or air filter!

he THEN took carb off to CLEAN and ruined it
he has ZERO mechanical abilities, so NO clue why he did this at all!, but I also took it off and looks like he washed in it something that etched the insides of carb??

its a 2016 TROY BUILT power washer, that has a 8.75 HP, B&G motor on it
he used it about 2 hours before dropping it
he doesn';t know how to use a screw driver, , so he should have never been using this thing, or trying to clean the carb on a like new motor LOL
I looked up replacement parts off B&G site and new OEM carb, air filter fuel cap, is like $75 bucks
EBAY knock off carbs are like 20 bucks, didnl;t look up other parts(needs a new hose, as he ran that over and crimped it)
I was going to fix it, but I have two like new power washers now, and have NO use for this thing
I'd gladly give it away , but I am from NE PA< so, shipping might make it not worth shipping
and NOT even sure would work on a snowblower
BUT if you have interest in finding out more, PM< me a email and I can send you pic's and info
its maybe got 2 hours if run time on it, IF that
so motor should be good,
free, minus shipping??

euphoric1

well I am late to see this tread, and NOT sure if shipping would be a deal breaker
BUT, my Brother in law, dropped power washer off his deck(2 ft high)
so not a big drop, but did crack the fuel cap, and air filter cover popped off and he never looked for it! or air filter!

he THEN took carb off to CLEAN and ruined it
he has ZERO mechanical abilities, so NO clue why he did this at all!, but I also took it off and looks like he washed in it something that etched the insides of carb??

its a 2016 TROY BUILT power washer, that has a 8.75 HP, B&G motor on it
he used it about 2 hours before dropping it
he doesn';t know how to use a screw driver, , so he should have never been using this thing, or trying to clean the carb on a like new motor LOL
I looked up replacement parts off B&G site and new OEM carb, air filter fuel cap, is like $75 bucks
EBAY knock off carbs are like 20 bucks, didnl;t look up other parts(needs a new hose, as he ran that over and crimped it)
I was going to fix it, but I have two like new power washers now, and have NO use for this thing
I'd gladly give it away , but I am from NE PA< so, shipping might make it not worth shipping
and NOT even sure would work on a snowblower
BUT if you have interest in finding out more, PM< me a email and I can send you pic's and info
its maybe got 2 hours if run time on it, IF that
so motor should be good,
free, minus shipping??

The only think is, it is most likely an OHV engine, the crank height would be different than the OEM engine and that would mean different belt sizes needed (not that big deal) also allot of pressure washers have a shorter crankshaft, then would need shrouding to convert to winter engine so carb doesn't ice up, all can be done but just some things to keep in mind before committing.

mezz

The one we have is a 1996, it too has a cast iron sleeve if I remember correctly. The thing was running until the crack in the block developed, but, cleaning everything fuel related would be needed as it has been down since last December & I am reasonably certain my son in-law used crap gas (87). Please hang onto it for me right now, I will have a talk with the family to see what we can do & when. I THANK YOU!!! & my daughter thanks you as well. -Mezz

euphoric1

The one we have is a 1996, it too has a cast iron sleeve if I remember correctly. The thing was running until the crack in the block developed, but, cleaning everything fuel related would be needed as it has been down since last December & I am reasonably certain my son in-law used crap gas (87). Please hang onto it for me right now, I will have a talk with the family to see what we can do & when. I THANK YOU!!! & my daughter thanks you as well. -Mezz

sounds good just let me know, I will take the engine off the chassis if you end up wanting it, that way will just be direct bolt on, just throw it in my trailer when we come up, we stay at the root cellar when we are up there. Let me know

mezz

Euphoric, Thank you so much, I will be in touch, perhaps I could make earlier arrangements for pick up, we'll see what we can come up with. I'm sure you know that we do have snow on the ground plus cold, like 15. They really need this, thanks again. -Mezz

Last edited:

mezz

mrbb , Thank you so much for reaching out to me. It means a lot to me. Between you & euphoric, you have given us some hope in crunch time. Euphoric has some valid points, I just want to Thank you again. -Mezz

mrbb

mrbb , Thank you so much for reaching out to me. It means a lot to me. Between you & euphoric, you have given us some hope in crunch time. Euphoric has some valid points, I just want to Thank you again. -Mezz
no problem, I am a firm believer in helping others, having something you will never use, when someone else could
to me, seems silly to keep

best of luck in getting yours up and going again

if this was few yrs ago, I could have given you a whole snow blower, as a friend passed away and his wife gave me the blower, as she would never use it, he paid a little over a grand for it, Think he used it twice before he passed away
I stuck it in my shed, thinking MAYBE some day I would use it, started it up every yr, drained fuel every spring(never used it once) and doubted I ever would,
so started asking friends
and NO one wanted it,
WELL< a few offered to TAKE it and sell it, which I could have done, but was trying to find a person that would use it and needed it, over someone looking to make money off it!

had electric start and all, no battery plug in with cord! , was a nice blower!

I ended up giving it to a old guy 2 yrs ago, I meet at buddy's butcher shop, that was on fixed income and in need of a one as his broke!

or I would have been giving you a whole like new older blower
sorry sure this doesn't help any either, but thought I would mention LOL

mezz

sounds good just let me know, I will take the engine off the chassis if you end up wanting it, that way will just be direct bolt on, just throw it in my trailer when we come up, we stay at the root cellar when we are up there. Let me know

I sent you a PM this afternoon. -Mezz