Snow Day, December 9, 2009 - Algoma, WI

packerlandrider

Wow, what a day to try out my new 2006 Renegade 600 SDI. Got to ride about 10 miles around our property, and for how wet the snow was there was some nice deep spots in the long grass to try the bigger track on (having riden 121'' trail sleds all my life). Wish I could have riden more but once we had everything cleaned up around the farm me and my dad worked on getting the Tucker out and hooking up the drag. Left our house (near Alaska,WI - between Kewaunee and Algoma) and headed north on Corridor 1 towards the Ahnapee State Trail (railroad grade in Kewaunee and Soputhern Door Counties). Once we got to the Ahnapee it was pretty good going, for the most part the snow had fallen evenly over the trail. We headed west towards Algoma and then north towards the Door-Kewaunee County line. A section of that trail goes through some dense forest and I must have shaken off 20 trees to get them to go back up and we mush have cut 15+ more (mostly cedars) While we are doing this I would say that the snow (evenly spread, no drifts) came up 14 inches on my leg plus the snow I was standing on. Sorry, no pictures of the trails as I didn't have the camera with me (yes, idiotic move) but here are a few of the snow around my house and my new Renegade

Attachments

• DSC01394.JPG
    DSC01394.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 329
  • DSC01395.JPG
    DSC01395.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 372
  • DSC01397.JPG
    DSC01397.JPG
    80.5 KB · Views: 313
  • DSC01398.JPG
    DSC01398.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 359
  • DSC01399.JPG
    DSC01399.JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 351

packerlandrider

From what I have read, its a county's/section of a county's decision. Kewaunee County's trails can open the 15th weather permitting, but nothing wrong with going out and getting the trails ready by grooming and brushing the trees that were bent over/snapped on the trail.

440_chazz

A snowmobile club can groom trails before the 15th. It doesn't matter. it just makes it even more tempting for a snowmobiler to ride them when they see a groomed trail.

miaferominka

From what I have read, its a county's/section of a county's decision. Kewaunee County's trails can open the 15th weather permitting, but nothing wrong with going out and getting the trails ready by grooming and brushing the trees that were bent over/snapped on the trail.

Not even going to get in to this one !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

vmax1994

Every county/club seems different. Here is the official report from Bayfield County...they don't seem to care if you ride prior to the official opener.

Reported by: Bayfield County Tourism & Recreation
Date of Report: December 10, 2009
Trail Conditions: Unknown
Snow Cover: 8-16 inches

Area Report: We've got snow!!! 8-16 inches fell during this week's storm. Grooming will begin around the middle of next week. If you decide to venture out before then, be aware that there may be some gates that won't be opened until the groomers get out. There are also two areas of logging on trail #31 between Valhalla and Bayfield that will continue until sometime in January, and one area on trail #31 south of Barnes that will continue all season long. Happy sledding![\quote]