Snow in the summer question....again.

regionrat

John, I think I recall you adressing the stories about snow falling in the U.P. in July before. Specifically on Independence Day. I've searched through the threads, but can't find that particular information. Are you aware of any confirmed traces of snow in the U.P. in July? The record low for Marquette on July 04 is 40. Hardly snow making weather, but it can snow at 40 if conditions are right. I think you went through the records for Houghton?

jd

Administrator
Staff member
The stories of snow in July up here are only in stories from some locals. While I don't have any proof to back up the stories, I also cannot disprove them, so I guess they will remain in "legend" status for now. I also could see it happening from a meteorologic standpoint. August would be the tough month for snow.

-John

radsrh

I can say from seeing it myself that there was a 4th of July we got up early to get to town and there was a heavy frost. Cold enough that day that it could have snowed

regionrat

Thanks for the info John. If it's not impossible, than I could see it happening at some locations if conditions were right. I've met lots of locals wgho tell me their grandfather's saw it snow.